Excerpts from Assisted Fluffy Digestion (by Chikahiro)

((I had been pondering this topic for a while but was unsure of how to do it. @Karn going all academic on us gave me the inspiration I needed. I actually had to do some research into this topic and real animals, which I thought was REALLY COOL! Recognizing that the ideas have potential for hugbox, neutralbox, abusebox, etc., I felt this was the best way to share the ideas while neither judging creators for how they use it nor pushing them down a particular path. If anything, I hope there are some viable tools for future stories! If not, feel free to ignore. This is not canon nor was meant to be canon. Its just a weird idea about poop))

Synopsis: It is a very well documented fact that the fluffy digestive system was incomplete when PETA released a whole generation of specimens upon the world. Due to various patent issues, litigation, the loss of human resources related to the project and simple corporate “its not our problem” mentality nothing can be done at the OEM/genetic level. The issues stemming from this pre-alpha system include sub-par nutritional absorption, vastly increased appetite due to increased volume required to satisfy the organism’s biological needs, and the infamous issues related to elimination of waste matter.

Chikahiro Multiversal wishes to provide the community with an option for tailoring their fluffies life-cycle using a simple to implement option: Assisted Rumination via fermentation. Recognizing that there is a diversity among fluffy caretakers for an equally diverse number of applications, the following is presented without judgement. We trust that you will find your ideal use for the information presented.

Rumination Is Not Possible

Ruminants are a type of animal that have multiple stomachs. This allows them to derive nutrition from what would ordinarily be considered poor food sources. The most famous ruminant in the Western world is none other than the cow. This is a good inspiration for the issues fluffies have with food but is not a solution. Fluffies have a monogastric digestive system.

Horses, believed to be one of the primary sources of DNA for the genengineers at Hasbio, are monogastric rather than ruminants. However, their size affords them a significantly larger digestive system including hindquarter fermentation to deal with excessive cellulose found in their diet. This cannot be duplicated in the fluffy.

Perhaps An Answer

Closer to the modern fluffy’s stature, the humble rabbit is monogastric and is a hindquarter fermenting animal. Indeed, it eats its food twice; once in its original form, then a second time as cecotrope. Cecotropes are reingested allowing it to maximize nutritional intake from its foraging.

It is a well known fact that fluffies will engage in coprophagia (consumption of feces) when food is extraordinarily scarce or when an individual fluffy is simply towards the bottom of its social ladder. While neither is seen as desirable, the species as a whole does recognize that its own fecal matter is a viable food source (whether it is greater than, equal to, or lesser than cannibalism is a different matter).

Data Summary

Fluffies fed raw, high-cellulose, whole food diets typically obtained x0% of bio-available nutrients. Simply steaming the foods saw a y0% increase in absorption, putting it roughly on par with kibble. Supplementation in any case is still advised depending on the health needs of an individual or herd. However, it is still very poor relative to comparable animals.

The infamous “poopie fluffy”, living off a purely fecal diet, absorbed a0% of the bio-available nutrients. While the overall nutritional value is lower compared to the baseline diet, it is still absorbing an equivalent amount of nutrition to kibble on a gram per gram basis. A key differentiator, however, is that such a fluffy will only eat a bare minimum needed to sustain itself rather than to thrive. Thus, despite the nutritional advantage of eating the fecal matter, it remains in often worse health.

Fermentative Pre-Digestion

Referenced studies show the benefits of a fermented forage for livestock along with supplementing them with pre-biotics. As illustrated, the fluffy digestive track lacks a healthy, mutually beneficial microbiome seen in virtually every multicellular organism on the planet. Whether this is due to the lack of time to establish and pass one on or it was another incomplete aspect of their design is purely speculative.

The bacteria found in cultured and fermented foods offer well established benefits for humans and livestock alike. Additionally, the fermentation process itself is a form of pre-digestion, breaking down cellulose, and aiding in nutritional absorption. Combining the two reduces the total cost per percent of nutrition absorbed.

Minimizing Waste Maximizes ROI

Regardless of scale, fluffy owners generally do not wish to waste their resources. Be it a simple house pet or a large-scale breeding/harvesting operation, the money spent on feed is money not doing something else. At a basic level we strongly recommend a diet that is 50% regular foods and 50% fermented foods. This combination will provide both nutritional benefits as well quality of life. This is readily done by home-, small-, and medium scale operations with minimal change to routine. While the cost per meal will go up our studies indicate it will generally be offset by improved health and viability of fluffies under the dietary regime.

For commercial operations starting from medium and leading to industrial breeding or food-fluffy raising, we recommend starting weanlings and adolescent fluffies (colts and fillies) at a supplemented 50%/50% mix as previously stated. However, upon maturing they can be moved to a variety of more flexible options. Each level recommended option has its own Misery Rating, however, that must be considered when implementing. There are diminishing returns at play with higher Misery Rating options that can negate financial savings. Diminishing returns must be considered. Some of the more notable examples:

• 50% regular food, 50% fermented foods (MR 1/10, ideal for most non-industrial applications including companion fluffies and food-grade fluffies)
  • 40% regular food, 60% fermented foods (MR 1/10, ideal for most non-industrial applications including companion fluffies and food-grade fluffies)
  • 40% regular food, 40% fermented foods, 20% pasteurized 1st generation fecal matter (MR 2/10, good for most non-industrial applications, minimum acceptable for food-grade fluffies)
  • 30% regular food, 40% fermented foods, 30% pasteurized 1st generation fecal matter (MR 4/10, acceptable for companion fluffies, good for industrial applications)
  • 20% regular food, 30% fermented foods, 50% pasteurized 1st generation fecal matter (MR 6/10, minimum acceptable for low-grade companion fluffies, acceptable for industrial applications
  • 10% regular food, 30% fermented foods, 40% pasteurized 1st generation fecal matter, 10% pasteurized 2nd generation fecal matter (MR 8/10, minimum acceptable for industrial applications per US/EU standards)
  • 5% regular food, 20% fermented foods, 40% pasteurized 1st generation fecal matter, 35% pasteurized 2nd generation fecal matter (MR 10/10, minimum acceptable for low-quality industrial applications)

Studies using the Misery Rating have noted a distinct correlation between the MR of a particular fluffy and its overall well-being. This translates into areas such as physical and mental health, emotional health, quality of harvested fluff, hides, and organs, plus taste and quality of meat. The lower the MR, the higher margin can be successfully obtained per fluffy regardless of intent. The higher the MR, the lower the margin that can be obtained per fluffy. In numerous studies MR5 is the break-even point for home to mid-size operations. MR7 essentially is the break-even point for any volume operation. MR 8 and higher will require financial subsidization, often from government grants or contracts for fluffy population control.

It is especially noteworthy that with this model that 2nd generation fecal matter loses the potency as fertilizer that 1st generation fecal matter is renowned for, being no better than most typical manures. 3rd generation fecal matter is, at best, a composting component.

Regardless Of Intent

The information herein is presented as a summary of many years of research regarding the fluffy digestive system. We here at Chikahiro Multiversal wish to distribute it as fodder for your various fluffy related projects regardless of scale or intent.

22 Likes

HOW FAST DO YOU PEOPLE READ?!

5 Likes

Like Sanic, gotta go fast.

4 Likes

Well the tater tots get cold fast so yeah…

Oh, you meant the Hedgehog…!

Anyhow: welcome to the random brain activity I call thoughts.

5 Likes

I am a machine, so very.

2 Likes

lol - fair enough!

I hope you’re no dumber for having read it :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Really Fast
Awesome work Chikahiro. Loved it.

4 Likes

You really are.
I notice how damn fast you like posts and are usually the very first one to do so. Everytime I see you react to posts so quickly I want to give you the Turing Test.

“Quick, Describe the emotion love and tell me the 55th digit of Pi!”

3 Likes

Mind if I reference this? Like, a lot?

I absolutely love this.

But what is being sold? Copyright? The pre-biotocs, machinery for fermenting feed?

The reference to industrial and companion applications makes me feel like its more of a seminar type thing.

Access to a web series on techniques with links to the best options for setting things up like small scale farm operations tend to be targeted for?

4 Likes

Was thinking the same
When I used the Trap Foal I tried to think of a made up company name that involved your user name.

4 Likes

So, I’ve yet to write it but in essence: Chikahiro Multiversal is me.

Creators (us) have our own little world(s). We populate them as we see fit, assign them the “rules” we think apply while putting away the ones we don’t (setting conventions, genres, etc), then create our works around those in our chosen mediums.

Some creators like to nod at the 4th wall in fiction. Chikahiro Multiversal is an active entity outside that 4th wall making things for creators.

The Trap Foal is an early example. I think it’s been in two works since introduction, and they couldn’t be more different. This is another.

Payment is… Sort of abstract. Mental essence from pride, satisfaction, fame or notoriety. Basically the stuff and feelings we get from making something that other people use and enjoy.

Incidentally, this is the universe my photo plus drawing fluffies live in.

So the idea here you’ve got your setting and import this into your world. The core ideas are absolutely present but specifics change. In one setting it’s from some FDA grant recipient. From another it’s from a massive Future Farmers Of America project, printed on nice paper and coil bound sitting on a breeder’s shelf with sticky notes and highlights. In another it’s an internal report for Hasbio Foods trying to eke out another 1% margin from fluffy meat sales. In another it’s been spread out across 12 months of a sustainable living magazine.

Hell, in one setting it’s merely mentioned and somehow a cave dwelling herd stumbles upon making it’s own fermented chow, unaware the cave is loaded with bacteria that cheese makers go nuts for.

In each setting the means of obtaining the information, the materials, etc, change to be compatible with it.

Does that make sense? It’s an attempt at almost plug and play story material. Enough depth (and I did maybe an hour of actual poking around online) to have some believability but not assuming it’s usage. Hippie commune to yuppie “farm” to breeder mills to massive fluffy spewing operations. Pets to food livestock to cheap fur and other products.

3 Likes

Re: the Multiversal market. I’ve already got one small example of a transaction in mind where my character obtains/licenses an idea then customizes it to make a Trap Foal payload.

The core ideas of fluffies are OSS (Open Source Setting). But some things are proprietary with fair use. The Bluey and Pinky shirt that Hippolyta wore in a comic I did recently would be fair use. Actually sound a story with Bluey and Pinky would not be. I’d require permission (a license) to do so, complete with terms and conditions from eded_ted.

3 Likes

This makes so much sense and I can’t believe the thought hadn’t ever crossed my mind. Thank you for this. :brown_heart::brown_heart::brown_heart:

4 Likes

Plug and play fiction? Or working on real ways/reasons to improve fluffy nutrition?

You’re welcome either way, @Aurix :grinning:

4 Likes

Oh, and @thk - note the Misery Rating. I think that idea alone had a lot of potential. Imagine making a high poop to food kibble… It’s MR ought be fairly high. But you could work on ways to lower it via additives, treatments, whatever while processing it to reduce the MR. Or make it worse (essentially making abuser chow).

Kibble ought have a worse MR to real food but be better than eating rotten trash by a good margin.

3 Likes

Just all the details of the premise and benefits of second harvest. Lol

In my headcannon it does address some details of nutritional absorption that is linked to fluffy types. :grin: Earthie tend to have better absorption resulting in a larger size and strength. I also include an unintended Runt subtype that suffers from terrible nutritional absorption.

4 Likes

Thanks! I think I made a faux company name… BioControl…? in the original piece. But I can get wordy and ad copy is dull to read :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Gotcha. Rabbits were the initial inspiration (was a little grossed out by that when I learned how they ready, not gonna lie), but a first digestion being replaced with pre-digestion made sense, could be implemented easier and by anyone, etc.

Just don’t let the little dizzies near your home made kombucha. They’ll eat that mother mold thing!

Actually… The Margaret’s Garden story has her pickling some of their harvest. Fluffy Harvest Moon sounds appealing…

4 Likes

Fluffy RE7 too.

Imagine a Fluffy that can throw you through a wall, always comes back, and is Evie’s personal pet.

Or worse, a herd wandering the bayou and spreading her influence through shit trails.

2 Likes

OSS should be a new tag.

2 Likes