Five years (Artist: JBerg360) (FB ID: 20182)

Still longer than most rats. Those little cuties usually only live for 2-3 years. :cry:

2 Likes

I give domestics 5-8 years with proper care, ferals 2-3 on average and 4-5 if theyā€™re exceptionally lucky.

1 Like

Yeah, somewhere around a cat or dog lifespan makes the most sense to me

1 Like

Sadly.
And they donā€™t die easy either.

1 Like

Donā€™t frown because itā€™s over, smile because it happened :,)

1 Like

Five years feels like a happy medium between small rodents and small dogs. Not to mention Hasbio would probably coded some planned obsolescence.

I also like the idea that fluffies are a mishmash of hundreds of types of animal and plant DNA (none of which is from a pony) so they can randomly mutate. Some may live days, some decades.

3 Likes

:sob: a good and sad story a good friend and pet .

1 Like

I could definitely see Hasbio instituting planned obsolescence in order to drive up sales. That said , and as person who likes to see fluffies developly independently of Hasbio or a purely corporate motive, I think there is a benefit to exploring fluffies with longer lives - more interesting stories can be told with fluffies that live longer and more fruitful lives.

I still feel that fluffy ponies need to be ponies to some extent. Iā€™ve often considered that most fluffies (not counting water-based subspecies) to have equine hooves, which can at least be attributed to horse DNA. Some later designs of fluffies that give them a hairless snout tend to be based more on real horse snouts look, as opposed to the G4 MLP design which can be attributed to Lauren Faust. The progression on the fluffy pony designs is a rather interesting thing to observe.

1 Like

You bastard

You actually made me feel bad for a fluffy. I didnā€™t think it was possible.

3 Likes

The no pony DNA thing was one of the earlier fluffy jokes that I like to cling to. In my head they absolutely look like a version of a small pony, and have distinctive traits of one, but the idea that fluffy DNA is a spit bucket cocktail Hasbio cobbled together to make a pet pony without pony DNA gives me a giggle.

Its a blend of convergent evolution (crabs evolved multiple times), and the idea where Hasbio started out with pony DNA but slowly replaced bits with other things to modify the product and didnā€™t realize until later that they had removed all equine DNA entirely.

ā€œCarcinization is an example of convergent evolution in which a crustacean evolves into a crab-like form from a non-crab-like formā€

1 Like

I do admit that this is an interesting headcanon/hivecanon even though its not my own approach. I do see how a mish/mash of genetic background could also lead to ā€œotherā€ fluffy subspecies - Iā€™m very partial to fluffalo myself, though I feel thereā€™s even variations in that - Marcusmaximus (and recently, Carpdimeā€™s) Fluffaloā€™s have horselike hooves, while Pumpiikinā€™s is closer to the bovid.

One thing that has also been on my mind is other companies that could create fluffies. I feel people are too reliant on Hasbio, and while I get that the company is a parody of Hasbro, I feel that more companies would try to get in on the fluffy pony game. After all, Filly Funtasia exists, a reason why I wrote my bit on Genecco fluffies.

Stories of life and aging like this always get me in the feels. Absolutely beautiful.

2 Likes

Well there are @Pushka Mattel fuzzies a competitor to fluffies.
But I think that after fluffies were broken out and trampled all over the USA wilflife and eco system, as an invasive species most companies wouldnā€™t be interested in associating with that anymore.

Not too mention that fluffies breed like wildfire and back yard ( and reputed) breeders asnd there would be no need for companies to try and create their own

The fluffy is out of the bottle so to speak, if Hasbio were to try and claim ownership they would also be held liable for all the damages.

1 Like

Basically, same. Mine are most likely to die of age related illness between 5 years to 20, depending on a lot. Iā€™d say on average 8 for a domesticate.

I wouldnā€™t even hazard a guess for ferals, unless they stumble onto a real good living situation they usually last months not years.

Isnā€™t there life extension treatment for fluffies? Not cheap, but its a treatment of shots and therapies, to renew ones life span to 10years and so on?

Might as well have fun as long as you can.

The wild fluffys that survive 1 winter deserve a lot of respect, but mostly the wild ones donā€™t last for months.

It will depend on the headcanon of each one, but normally the fluffys in several stories, those who are well cared for in a home, live to be 10 years old, maybe 12, but that is their limit, first losing energy then starting to go blind and finally barely moving from their bed becoming more a fluffy pillow because its legs have no strength. I guess fluffys that live 5 years should be microfluffys but a medium cat/dog sized fluffy should live longer but heyā€¦they are friends they are pets and it hurts to see them go. but itā€™s part of growing up

1 Like

Totally depends on the personal canon. My own sifted over time and Iā€™d say closer to 8-10 years myself now. But I also feel like fluffies as a concept is old enough now that they could have evolved in (at least my own) canon. So the original Hasbio Fluffy would have lasted 5 years due to planned obsolescence, but breeding in the wild selected for some toughness and longevity as well as hobby breeding.

For this comic I really just wanted to do a gut punch to the feelings so 5 years was about right. Old enough for the boy to take care and bond with a pet and still young enough that it could still be a best friend when it died.

For a story about an old fluffy: The Oldest Fluffy (author_jberg360)

2 Likes

Still cute enough in the last panel that I want to stomp it into jelly.