"Fluffy World: Work In Progress" by NobodyAtAll

Warming: spoilers for “Hell on Earth”, and the Forces of Nature, Fiendlord and Adam Omega Sagas.

By now, the Fall of Cleveland and the circumstances surrounding it are common knowledge.

Rupert Murdoch built Spaghetti Land, a theme park for fluffies, about fluffies.

Of course, Spaghetti Land was just a front for Murdoch’s scheme to replace fluffies with fuzzies.

And it ended in disaster.

Many lives, human and fluffy, were lost when Spaghetti Land burned to the ground, the result of several factors that Murdoch simply did not take into account.

And the rest of Cleveland burned too. Only a small percentage of Cleveland’s inhabitants escaped the inferno, resettling elsewhere.

Even Murdoch’s mission to replace fluffies with fuzzies failed. The majority of the fluffy population at the time was present for the Fall of Cleveland, but, while many of them were devoured by the flames, not all of them perished. Either they miraculously escaped the flames, or they survived by not being in Spaghetti Land at the time.

As for the fuzzies, they’re extinct. They were all destroyed. And there was no Death of Fuzzies to retrieve their souls, because they didn’t have souls to retrieve. They were closer to machines than to living, breathing creatures.

There is, however, a Death of Golems, who was very surprised when he came into existence just in time to collect the soul of Floris the plant golem, and Floris was just as surprised to find out that it had a soul to collect.

Shortly after the Fall of Cleveland and the mysterious death of Rupert Murdoch, the facility manufacturing the fuzzies was burned to the ground by a hooded, masked, heavily armed mystery man. All documentation on the fuzzies was also destroyed.

To this day, the mystery man has not been identified.

But after the Fall of Cleveland, Dr. Pierre Faucheuse, then CEO of FauCorp, got to thinking.

He eventually reached the conclusion that a fluffy theme park was actually a brilliant idea, if he removed the part about it secretly being a death trap.

So he spent the next few years working on exactly that. He had one of his Remote Bodies designing the park 24/7.

His goal was to build a theme park that fluffies and humans could enjoy together. A theme park where absolutely nobody dies.

It was only a few months before the Demonic Invasion that the plans started becoming a reality. The construction of Fluffy World only commenced a short while ago.

Of course, Pierre is retired now. And all of his Remote Bodies have been destroyed.

But his daughters, his protégés, are overseeing the construction of Fluffy World on his behalf.

At the future site of Fluffy World, four people and a fluffy watch the construction workers go about their business. Three of them are wearing hard hats.

Valerie and Susan, the daughters of Pierre. Taking over his scientific research and development and the management of FauCorp respectively.

Xavier Laine, showrunner at Fluffywood. He has the beginnings of a black mustache now, and Susan already thinks it makes him look even sexier.

And Calvin Korkea, the Bestest Hoomin, the strongest human alive, along with Marley, the strongest fluffy alive. Neither of them are wearing hard hats, because neither of them need hard hats.

They’re standing in what will be the hub of the park, looking much like an average city centre. A few of the buildings are already done. A gift shop, waiting for merchandise to fill the shelves, and a restaurant, waiting for various culinary delights to lure in hungry humans and fluffies. A fountain, not running yet, with a statue of Captain Fluffy, the park’s mascot, and the fountain was designed specifically to prevent fluffies from accidentally falling in. Obviously, deliberately dropping fluffies in will not be allowed. Abuse is not tolerated on FauCorp property anywhere in the world, regardless of the legal status of fluffies in any given area.

Calvin looks around, obviously already impressed, and then he looks down at Marley.

“What do you think, Mar? Amazing, isn’t it?”

Marley shrugs.

“Wen yu can fwy, feem pawk wides nu am su speciaw. But Marley fink da west of da hewd am gunna wike it.”

While Marley refers to his closest fluffy friends and family as his herd, he does not suffer from Smarty Syndrome. He’s a smarty in the same way that Calvin is a king.

A smarty who won’t protect his herd is a shitty smarty.

“Hey, it’s still fun, though. Future Quin told me all about that Efteling place. They got this trashcan shaped like a big fat guy, and it goes papier hier! This place should have something like that, Suzy.”

Susan grins at Calvin, who she essentially views as a brother.

“You mean like a big fat fluffy, Cal? I think we can do it, right sis?”

Valerie nods. She also considers Calvin her brother.

“Oh yes, dear sister. Compared to some of the other things father and I designed for Fluffy World, that’ll be child’s play.

Marley looks up at Valerie to offer a suggestion.

“Yu cud hab it say twashies hewe! Mebbe yu cud git Tawa Stwong tu du da tawkies. She am dam gud at duin fwuffy tawkies. Fiwst time Mawwey saw Tawa Stwong du dat, Mawwey wuz wike, wait, wut?”

Calvin lets out a laugh.

“She’ll do it, too! She’ll spread those vocal cords for anyone with money. Honestly guys, at this point, her IMDB page should just say this actress has been in everything. She’s like Samuel L. Jackson with boobs.”

Xavier smiles at Calvin.

“I’ll call Mrs. Strong later and ask her about it, Cal. She’s already been working with Fluffywood, so I think she’ll say yes. Mar, you’re right, she’s damn good at fluffy voices. If I had a dollar for every time she dubbed over a flubbed line…”

Susan nods in agreement.

“She also worked with FauCorp Entertainment when we were making the action figures and plush dolls of our fluffy ChaotiX. Cal, yours are selling like hotcakes. And we’ve got our video game division working on a ChaotiX game, too.”

Calvin suddenly gets very excited.

“Aw man, I’ve gotta see that!”

“It’s still in the early stages, Cal. But I think the people at Sega said it’ll be a fighting game. Though they also have a concept for an action-adventure game in the works.”

While FauCorp’s game division was formerly known as Sega, they still use the old name for brand recognition.

“And we’re in talks with the Sonic Mania team about getting the band back together for a sequel. No promises yet though, they’ve all got other projects at the moment.”

“Dem Saw-nik games haf sum pwetty myoo-sik in dem.”

Calvin kneels down, stroking Marley.

“Damn right. No matter how bad they might be, the music is always good.”

Calvin turns to the others.

“We’ve gotta get going, guys. I need to check in on Jack and Snowball’s respective lessons.”

The others say their goodbyes, and then Calvin, still touching Marley, blips out to Dr. Pierre Faucheuse’s School for Gifted Individuals.

“Bodyslide by two!”

blip

Then Valerie says she has to go.

“I need to check in on Miles. He’s pretty good at programming, so he’s handling the code for the new Fluffigotchi. Uncle Victor’s helping him with that. We’re making versions for humans and fluffies. The buttons on the ones for humans are too small for a fluffy to press. We’ll just need to figure out a way for fluffies to carry them around.”

Namco-Bandai will not be complaining about the name. They’re still terrified that FauCorp will buy them out if they piss the Faucheuse family off.

Xavier seems to like the idea.

“It’ll be good for people who aren’t sure their mares can handle a real foal.”

Susan grins again.

“And if the mares can’t, there’s always our Bestest Babbeh Friends. That, and some people want a fluffy, but their homes just don’t have the space for one. It’ll be good for them, too.”

With that, Valerie takes her leave, but not before giving Xavier a very meaningful look.

She blips out to her lab in Faucheuse Tower.

blip

Susan turns to Xavier in confusion.

“What was that about, Xav? Why was Val looking at you like that?”

Because the answer involves Xavier’s intention to offer Susan a certain piece of jewelry, Xavier cannot honestly answer Susan’s question. And Xavier knows that Susan knows when she’s being lied to. That’s her power, after all.

But this is neither the right time nor the right place to ask Susan that question.

Xavier is planning something special for that.

So for now, he must choose his words carefully.

“Oh, Val was just reminding me of something very important that I need to do.”

Well, that’s not untrue.

Because the statement is not actually a lie, Susan’s eye does not twitch.

She accepts the answer as a truthful one, and doesn’t ask any further questions.

So her power to detect lies is not perfect. Technically true statements do not register as lies.

But Susan is already planning to do the same thing that Xavier is planning to do, if he doesn’t get around to doing it soon.

Once again, they are in a situation where neither of them knows that the other feels the same way.

Isn’t it hilarious that this just keeps happening? It’s going to be really funny once they start thinking about having children.

Xavier continues.

“But I’ve gotta get going too, Suzy. We’re writing the script for the Captain Fluffy movie, shooting the next episode of Iron Fluff, and now I have to go call Mrs. Strong. But I’ll see you tonight, Suzy. Love you.”

The couple shares a kiss, and they both giggle when their hard hats bonk together.

With that, Xavier blips out to Fluffywood.

blip

Susan, now alone, decides to blip out too, leaving the construction workers to their duties.

Before she leaves, Susan looks around and smiles warmly, thinking about all the happy people and fluffies who will be enjoying Fluffy World when the park is complete.

She voices her thoughts to nobody in particular.

Susan is not one of those rare few who can break the fourth wall. She doesn’t even know that there is a fourth wall.

So shush, don’t tell her.

“It’s gonna be fucking amazing. One by one, we clean up the messes that others made, that they refuse to clean up themselves. If companies like Hasbio and Alenix are only going to think about personal gain… if they’re only going to see fluffies as a disposable source of profit… if they’re not going to care about fluffies…”

Susan’s smile becomes a determined one.

“…then we’ll fucking care about fluffies. Because somebody has to. Because no one else will. Glenn is right. Their lives have just as much meaning as our own. The abusers can call them shitrats as much as those assholes want. It doesn’t change a thing. Not a damn thing. We’ll be the wall that stands between fluffies and those who wish to harm fluffies for fun. If anyone wants to abuse fluffies, they’ll have to get past us. They won’t get past us.”

Then Susan’s smile becomes a warm one again.

“Especially if Cal doesn’t allow them past. Dad couldn’t have chosen a better person to take his place as the Man on the Wall. With Cal taking the lead, we will survive. Whatever happens, we will survive.

Then she blips to her office, also at Faucheuse Tower.

blip

Meanwhile, at the School, Calvin checks in on Snowball’s lesson with Olaf Eriksen, cryokinetic.

Calvin marvels at the ice sculpture Snowball created with her cryokinesis.

“Very nice, Snowball. Very nice indeed. But my nose isn’t that big.”

Marley nods.

“Yus, mummah awways say dat daddeh hab kyoot nosie.”

Snowball looks a bit embarrassed.

“Oops. Snowbaww sowwy, daddeh. But dat am a kwik fix.”

Snowball wiggles her hoof, correcting the ice Calvin’s nose, looking at the real Calvin’s face to be sure.

“Am dat bettew, daddeh?”

“Perfect, Snowball. She’s really getting the hang of it, Olaf.”

Olaf gives Calvin a jolly laugh.

“Oh yes, Cal. I think we’ll be ready for the snow lessons soon. It’s a really versatile power, y’know. You should have brought me to Bran Castle, holy water still works on vampires when it’s frozen. I could have staked them with icicles.”

“And I would have loved to see that, Big O, but I didn’t want anyone who was at risk of being turned. Glenn has silver-plated armor, they couldn’t turn him unless he decided to moon them. But the bastard Ianos almost turned me. That was bad enough. I don’t want to think about what I’d be like as a vampire.”

Well, there’s a few alternate Calvins who seem to enjoy it.

“But Big O, Snowball, I’ve gotta get going. I gotta check in on Jack and Lu-Tze, and then I need to meet a new X-Positive in–”

Calvin is interrupted when Drake and Diablo enter the training room.

“Yo! Special K! We’ve got a situation!”

“An it am a weiwd wun, Caw!”

Calvin turns to them.

“What’s up, guys?”

Drake explains.

“There’s a guy outside the gate who really wants to talk to you, Cal. He wouldn’t tell me what it’s about, he only said that he needed to talk to the Omega Class, and I’m just assuming he means you. Tall guy, wearing grey armor, dunno where he’s from, but he speaks English. He said his name’s Adam. He didn’t tell me his last name.”

“An dat am wun mest up wookin fwuffy mistah Adam haf wif him, if mistah Caw wan Diabwo op-in-yun.”

Marley looks at Drake and Diablo.

When Marley and Diablo play huggy tag together, it’s a sight to behold.

You haven’t lived until you’ve seen fluffies with superpowers play huggy tag.

“If mistah Adam wan tawk tu Oh-may-guh Cwass, mebbe he wan tawk to Mawwey?”

Diablo shrugs.

“Cud be, Mawwey. But if Diabwo had muh-nees, Diabwo wud bet dat mistah Adam wan tawk tu Caw.”

Calvin shrugs too.

“Fuck it, we’ll meet him together.”

5 Likes