Gone to the Dogs Part 2: Good Upsies by Karn

AJ yawned as he fidgeted with his old percolator, filling the antique with water before plugging it up and leaving it to brew as he readied breakfast. Biscuits, eggs, and a bit of bacon, he finished cooking just as the coffee pot began to whistle, putting a healthy portion of everything on a pair of plates before partaking in some much needed caffeine. Sighing as the pleasant brew warmed his bones, he sat at the table, eyeing the clock. It wasn’t until he was halfway finished with his own breakfast that his niece Rachel made her way into the kitchen, seemingly half-asleep as she sat down and began to eat.

“About time sleepy-head. You forget your alarm or something?”

“No, I’m just not used to waking up this early…”

“Well it’s a big part of the family business Rachel. And I know we haven’t really talked about it much, but I always assumed you’d grow into it when ya got older.”

AJ couldn’t tell whether it was a lack of enthusiasm or simply fatigue, but his niece barely responded to his offer. At only fifteen years of age, he could hardly blame Rachel for her reaction, as a career was probably the last thing on her mind, but ever since her father had died, AJ had taken it apon himself to take care of her when he could, from sending her mom money to manage the bills, to giving Rachel somewhere to spend her summers besides that run down apartment. She clearly loved him, but he often wondered if he was pushing too hard, that she saw him as trying to replace her father. Shaking the thought from his mind, AJ decided that it’d be more proactive to get Rachel more involved rather than outright plan her future for her.

“So listen, after breakfast, I have some training to get to…Would you wanna help me out?”

“I guess…”

It was far from the excited response he was hoping for, but AJ knew better than to push for more, happy that she was at least willing to lend a hand. It seemed like only yesterday when she was there last summer, helping him feed and care for the animals, fetching them treats and having a wonderful time. It still surprised him how much a single year could truly change.

“That’s great! I have some rounds to make around the farm, but I have some training tools outside not too far from the kennels. Hobble one of em’ and then get it on the lead between those big oak trees, okay?”

Nodding slightly, Rachel finished what little remained of her breakfast before heading to the guest-room and getting dressed.

Waking up shuddering, a young blue pegasus huddled against the haypile within her small enclosure. It was little more than a small box made of wire mesh, leaving the unfortunate fluffy exposed to the elements. Forcing herself upright, the mare winced as her sensitive hooves pressed against the cold metal, sad that no matter how long she had been here, it was something she never got used to.

“*huuu…huuu…huuu…Fwuffy am tu cowdies…Nu wike…an’ hoofsies awways hab huwties…”

As the mare bemoaned her fate, she heard a sound nearby, as though something were stirring. Not far from hers was another cage, with another pegasus within. His fluff was a soft pink and judging from his demeanor, he hadn’t been here for very long.

“Fwuffy nu wike dummeh sweepies pwace…Am tu hawd an’ tu cowd…”

Ignoring the other fluffy for the moment, the filly sighed as she leaned over and began to take small bites from her haypile, grimacing slightly with each mouthful. Lapping up some water from the dingy plastic bowl nearby, she felt some relief from the awful dryness that eating the hay always brought. Finishing her meager breakfast, the blue pegasus sighed as she laid back on her haypile, wishing she had room to run around and play. Lowering her head and preparing to go back to sleep to try and break up the tedium, the mare couldn’t help but notice the pink colt was now crying.

“*huuu…huuu…huuu…Fwuffy hab tummeh huwties…Nee’ nummies…”

“Fwuffy’s sweepies pwace am nummies…”

“W…wat? Nyu fwend? Hewwo?”

“Hewwo…Fwuffy am tewwin’ fwuffy dat sweepies pwace am nummies…Nu am gud nummies…buh am nummies…”

Not really wanting to lift her head, the filly simply listened as she heard the new colt hesitantly take a bite before abruptly coughing and sputtering up the dried grass. Shaking his head as he reeled from the bitter taste, the filly simply shook her head.

“Towd fwuffy nummies nu am gud nummies…”

“Nummies am su ba’! Nu wike…fwuffy’s mow’f tu dwy…”

“Dohs am onwy nummies dat fwuffies am gowna gets. Twy an’ hab sum wawas…wawas hewp…”

Looking around as bits of dried grass hung from his tongue, the colt likewise found his waterdish, lapping up water to clean his palette of the bitter, dry taste. Once his thirst was quenched, the colt smiled towards the filly’s cage, elated to have a friend. His tail wagging, he was oblivious to her indifference as she laid her head back down.

“Tank yu fow hewp’n fwuffy…nyu fwend?”

“Fwuffy nu wan be fwends…fwuffy nu can teww dat fwuffies am twapped?”

“Twapped? Fwuffy nu am twapped…Jus’ in widdew howsies dat am tu smaww…”

Snorting slightly, it dawned on the filly that he wasn’t very bright, the colt blissfully unaware that his so called home was in fact, a cage. She had lost track of how many bright times that had past, how many forevers it had been since she had been caught in the woods nearby. Since then, the blue pegasus had lived outside within the wire mesh enclosure, occasionally startled by the strange noises that she heard in the distance. She wasn’t sure what they were, only that they yipped and whined loudly, sending a chill down her spine as her instincts screamed at her to flee. Based on how calm and oblivious the colt was, she had to assume he’d yet to hear the monsters.

Distracted by her thoughts, the blue pegasus didn’t hear as the young woman approached, nearly screaming from shock before covering her mouth with her hooves. While she didn’t recognize the girl who was leaning over the colt’s cage, the filly knew that the human who had imprisoned them was cold, and uncaring. She had spoken to him often the first few days, asking if he was her new daddy and begging to be brought inside the house. But no matter what she did or said, he never responded, simply giving her water and occasionally adding more hay to her dwindling pile. And even though she had never seen this girl before, she had the same look on her face as the man, a look of indifference that made the filly eerily uncomfortable.

But the colt clearly didn’t know any of this, his tail wagging as he looked up towards the young woman, smiling and reaching up with his hooves.

“Hewwo nices wady! Am nyu mummah? Fwuffy wan owt’ of ba’ howsies p’wease…”

Whether he was oblivious or just foolish, the filly couldn’t tell. Regardless, he seemed unaware that as he spoke, the girl ignored him, opening the side of the enclosure and taking him out by his scruff.

“Ba’ upsies! Nyu mummah…fwuffy nu wike ba’ upsies…gibs fwuffy huwties…”

The filly watched quietly from her haybed, unsure what was happening. While she had often fantasized about being freed herself, something about what was happening made her anxious. Despite all of the colt’s protests and struggles, it bothered the filly how little the girl seemed to care, walking the struggling pegasus over to a nearby tree by his mane. Once they were beside the aging oak, the girl took a harness out of her jacket pocket and worked it over the colt’s wings, having to restrain them several times as the pegasus panicked, his wings flapping wildly.

“Nu! Dat huwties wingies! Wet gu! Wet gu of fwuffy! Nu wike! Nu wike!”

Despite his struggles and protests, it took little time for her to get the harness around him, attaching it to a clasp that hung from the tree. Once he was affixed to the lead, the girl put him down for the moment, ignoring the whimpering pegasus, the frightened colt pulling against his tether in vain.

“*huuu…huuu…huuu…Fwuffy nu can moov…Wai nyu mummah nu wisten tu fwuffy…”

While he tugged and strained against the cord, the girl carefully studied where her uncle had attached the ropes and pulley, nodding to herself as she began to tug the rope down bit by bit, each pull of the rope abruptly jerking the colt further and further upward as he began to flail his hooves wildly in the air.

“WAI FWUFFY GU UPSIES?! HEWP!!! NYU MUMMAH!!! HEWP FWUFFY!!! SABE FWUFFY!!!”

Screaming until his throat was hoarse, the colt writhed and wiggled in the air, trying his best to turn his head and catch a glimpse of the girl, wondering where she was and why she wasn’t helping him. There was a moment, where he finally stopped rising that he calmed slightly, no longer being bounced roughly as the tether pulled him in fits and bursts. With the colt now relatively still, he could see how high he was, trembling slightly at the sight the ground and how far away it truly was.

“TU HI!!! FWUFFY TU HI!!!”

His eyes blurring from the height induced vertigo, the colt was almost oblivious to the subtle swaying of his tether until he began to rock back and forth as the girl below quietly cursed as she pulled against pulley below.

“…Damn it…How does this…Okay, I think I got it…”

Fidgeting with the apparatus, the girl finally gave the rope one final tug as the pegasus lifted slightly higher before hearing a strange sound, like metal scraping metal. Then there was an audible click and the pegasus began to shift again, his hooves kicking in a desperate attempt to stop himself as he began to fall.

“*SCREEEEEEE!!! NU WET FWUFFY FAWW!!! NUUUUUuu…w…wat?”

Fearful of the worst, the colt opened his eyes to see that he wasn’t falling, but was actually flying through the air. Laughing in disbelief, the pegasus began to flap his wings, enjoying the sensation if the air whipping past him as he flew from the large tree to another in the far distance.

“*giggle Fwuffy am fwyin’!!! Fwuffy am fwyin’ nyu mummah!!!”

His previous panic all but gone, the colt was lost in the joy of every pegasi’s greatest wish, to soar through the air and feel the wind beneath their outspread wings. Giggling as he held his hooves forward, the colt grunted as he suddenly stopped, his tether pulling taut and knocking the air from his chest. Shaking his head from the shock, the colt wiggled in the air as he tried to figure out why his amazing journey through the sky had come to an abrupt end.

“W…wat? Wai fwuffy stahp? Wan fwy mowe…Wate…nu…nu…NU!!!”

Shifting his head about as he tried to catch a glimpse of the girl, the colt suddenly felt his body lurch backwards as he began to drift towards the first oak, slowly at first but quickly gaining in speed. Frightened to be moving so fast but unable to see where he was going, the pegasus shrieked in terror as he shot through the air.

“*SCREEEEEEE!!! NUUUUUUU!!! HEWP!!! P’WEASE HEWP!!! *SCREEEEEEE!!!”

Gazing about in a panic, the colt saw the nylon cord that his tether was unknowingly attached to. With little other option, he stretched his hooves out as far as he could, attempting to grasp it and slow himself down, only for the rope to quickly tear at the delicate tissue under his hoof.

“*SCREEEEEEE!!! OWWIES!!!”

Unable to force himself to try again, the colt began to sob, loudly crying out for some sort of help. Hopeful that the girl might come to his aid, he was instead met by the terrifying sound of yips and excited whines in the distance, followed by a deep voice bellowing out to them.

“Rex, Walker, Susanna,…line up !”

The trio of monsters ran straight to the end of the lead, staring eagerly towards the dangling pegasus as it drifted away from them, the colt screaming as it’s nightmarish ride seemingly came to a stop. Heaving as he tried to catch his breath, the fluff found no respite as before he could react, he was already hurtling forward again, towards the strange monsters.

“NUUUUUUU!!! *SCREEEEEEE!!! P’WEASE NU!!! HEWP FWUFFY!!! SABE FWUFFY!!! *SCREEEEEEE!!!”

His hooves pressing against the rope again and again, the chord tore through the desperate colt’s flesh, blood now trailing along the rope as he tried to slow himself. Badly injured, the fluffy stopped halfway between the trees, the ends of his hooves now nothing more than bloodied stumps.

“*chirp…*chirp…Owwies…*chirp…*chirp…Fwuffy hab owwies…”

“Goddamn it Rachel…”

AJ muttered under his breath, upset but not wanting his niece to overhear. She’d meant well but clearly hadn’t understood his instructions as the pink pegasus dangled in the center of the lead, the trio of pups waiting for it eagerly as the whined quietly.

“What happened Uncle AJ?”

“Well…you got it strung up alright, but you forgot to hobble it…”

Running up to meet her uncle, Rachel approached as he started to unbind the harness that held the chirping pegasus, the fluff having fully reverted due to it’s wounds. “I…I thought the harness was enough…” AJ sighed and shook his head slightly, walking the trembling mass by it’s scruff back towards the cages.

“Well no Rachel…If you don’t hobble em’ then that happens…but it’s alright…We’ll chalk it up to a learning experience. Follow me and I’ll show you proper, okay?”

The blue filly had gone quiet, her eyes wide as she shivered in her enclosure. She had seen everything, from the colt’s short lived flight of fancy, to the horrifying fate that he’d barely avoided, not to mention what the pink fluff had sacrificed to save himself. Scared to meet his gaze, the filly yelped as she saw her abductor approach, tossing the broken fluffy back in his cage before closing it back up again.

“*chirp…*chirp…Mummah…*chirp…*chirp…Sabe babbeh…”

“Sorry I wasted one…”

“Don’t fret Rachel. If it heals up enough, I’ll just use it again. If not…well there are plenty of uses for em’ around the farm.”

As the colt writhed and peeped, clearly in too much agony for the delicate fluff to manage, his glassy eyes met the filly’s, tears falling down his face. Try as she might, the blue pegasus couldn’t look away, his bloodied, ruined stumps causing her to wince. Transfixed by the sight of the wounded colt, the filly was shocked as her cage was opened and the man grasped her by her mane.

“Nu!!! Wet gu!!! Wet gu of fwuffy!!! Fwuffy nu wan gu wiff munstahs!!!”

He walked the struggling filly towards the house, near an old and well worn barbque grill. Holding her firmly in one hand, he grabbed a few pieces of charcoal from a near empty bag that laid beside the grill, letting them fall into it as he doused them with a small bit lighter fluid.

“Nu gib fwuffy huwties…Jus’ wet fwuffy gu…”

“Now pay attention…There’s a lot of ways to hobble a training tool but I’ll teach you the simplest. You get some coal burning good and hot in the grill here…and while you wait for it to heat up…”

He held the filly belly down against the grass, pressing firmly so her legs splayed outward against her will. Taking out a pocket knife, he opened the blade with a flick of his wrist and placed it firmly against the back of her rear leg, letting the tip indent the flesh slightly as a few drops of blood fell free.

“Owwies! P’wease nices munstah…nu…”

The blade tore through the heel of the leg, making a short but deep gash as the fluffy shrieked and kicked her hooves from the pain, the cut appendage only twitching slightly as it went limp.

“*SCREEEEEEE!!!”

“…You make a cut, just like and it hobbles the limb. Now it can’t wriggle. You do it for each one…” With practiced hands, he then cut each of the remaining three legs one by one, the filly screaming until her head collapsed, the fluff now lying on the ground and breathing unevenly as her wounded legs twitched and went still.

“…And then we get the coal…”

Taking a pair of tongs, the man grabbed a piece of the now burning red charcoal, pressing it firmly against the gash on the filly’s back leg, holding her down as her torso tensed and spasmed, her eyes bulging.

“*SCREEEEEEE!!! NU MOWE!!! P’WEASE NU MOWE!!! *SCREEEEEEE!!!”

He repeated the process for each wound, until all four hooves had an angry, blackened wound on the back, the legs now clearly useless.

“…and that stops em’ from bleeding out. We take it over to the lead and string em’ up like you did earlier, only now it’ll make it to the dogs.”

“Okay…I think I can manage that next time…thanks Uncle AJ.”

The man gripped the filly upright again, her ruined legs dangling as she struggled to stay conscious. As her vision went in and out, she saw the tree and felt them forcing the vest around her, the filly only able to shift her shoulders and flank in protest.

“…P…p’wease…am…am gud fwuffy…”

With each tug of the pulley, the filly was lurched upward, her limbs grotesquely rising and sagging as she rose. Crying slightly, the filly could feel her pained limbs moving against her will, despite her fruitless attempts to control them.

“Wat…wat wong wiff weggies…Nee’ weggies…”

Now at the top, the clasp clicked into the nylon lead and the filly began to drift forward, the man adjusting the pulley so she’d stop right at the start. “So now we have it go back and forth. We tell the pups when to jump by name and occasionally let it go past them without a command. This teaches em’ how to leap on command and how to stay sitting and prone unless we say otherwise. You wanna call out to em’ ?” Rachel nodded, clearly excited to be helpful after seemingly failing before. With a simple pull of the rope, the filly began to zoom towards the other tree, the monsters eagerly awaiting her as they yipped and whined, their eyes fixed on her.

“NUUUUUUU!!!”

AJ and Rachel let the filly fly to and fro on the lead countless times, the dogs leaping when instructed, their maws eager to grasp at the airborne fluffy. After the third jump, Rex landed with one of the pegasus’ front hooves in his mouth, the pleased pup sitting as he tore into his treat. By the eighth leap, Walker tore her free from the harness, shaking the screaming fluffy as she pleaded for it so stop. Pleased with their success, AJ walked over towards the dogs, clicking his mouth and signaling them that they could play as they began to nip and tear at her, with the pegasus screams finally ending as she was torn in half.

30 Likes

A talking training toy. Interesting.

My only suggestion would be to replace the word chord with cord instead. Chord is a musical term, so I thought there was music involved for a moment.

5 Likes

I hear ya. My heart swells when I hear a nylon chord lol
*edit: and I only fucked it up one time? really?
Fixed and thank you

4 Likes

Another great one man. I love the way you write thank you again.

3 Likes

No problem man
I’m just glad you like it so far

3 Likes

I’ve read and re-read the first so will more then likely do the same here.

3 Likes

Karn taking the role of an oasis in this content drought

4 Likes

I try. Truth be told my output has been abysmal due to some health issues but I’m on the upswing and will try to get content out more fluidly.

4 Likes

Nearly everything I have finished so far can be translated to a fluffy project. Writing isn’t my strong suit but hopefully I can contribute to the community with my actual talents soon. “Soon.” Probably a year away at this point.

1 Like

don’t wear yourself out for our sakes friend. Love the stories like goddamn heroin but your health comes first!

1 Like

I’m not, I promise.
Feels like I’ve been sick for the last two months but I’m finally starting to feel better.

2 Likes