How long would it take for almost all fluffies to die out?

So I got an idea for a story that takes place after Hasbio solves the PETA releasing fluffys early and then becoming pests, and starts over able to create the actual product they original went out to create. The way it was done was by releasing a synthetic chemical into the water supply that would make all fluffies infertile.

My question is basically how many years do you guys think would have to pass for fluffys to basically disappear and the finished product to be made, released, and become a part of normal life. I wasn’t sure if it should be 25 years, 50 years, or what.

4 Likes

Wow, 25 to 50. I know that horses have a lifespan up to 25 years, but I imagine that fluffies, being based off domestic pets, might have a shorter lifespan. Some that go with the “pure biotoy” approach keep their lifespan to five years or even less, but I can work a range of 10 to 25.

I know that @Pinkyfluffy had his fluffies age up to a maximum of 25 years, but I don’t think it applies to a lot of other writers and artists.

3 Likes

if hasbio is really quick on their feet, 1-4 weeks for full extinction, and any amount of time that you like for the finished product

5 Likes

Well I also want to take into account the time for official non-buggy fluffy ponies to be made as well. But I like the range you suggested

4 weeks? Even for domestic fluffies? That’s certainly fast.

1 Like

like i said, if hasbio reacts before any of them become domestic, without groving their numbers nature should kill them that fast. if domesticated, from 1-10 years, depanding on their luck

2 Likes

It takes a few years for the chemical to be created and put in the water, so I think there would be quite a lot of fluffiest by then

1 Like

If calculating the fact that all fluffies in the wild (key factor) are introduced to this process I would say give or take 2-3 years. The only thing, in my mind, that fluffies have going for them in the wild are the sheer numbers born from their ability to breed with relatively short recovery times. Barring deviations that would give them a better chance of survival and it’s purely just Hasbio simply waiting for them to die then I would go for the number above.

3 Likes

Yea, ferals is partly why the way to kill them off was figured to be introducing the chemical to the water supply, so even rivers and streams in the wild would have the effect.

1 Like

You have to consider the terrain, weather, and the time of year PETA released fluffies into North America on the west and southwest you have brutally hot summers where +100’ F (37’ C) have long stretches of heat waves that don’t let up for months i.e AZ, NM, and Central Valley CA would probably kill huge numbers of ferals in the summer alone.

The North and East Coasts have brutally cold winters and the south…well you have humidty and Florida man to contend with. Not to mention if they were classified as invasive pests and vermin then your accounting people hunting them and such. Probably wouldn’t take no more than 2 or 3 years estimating, leaving a really low pet population at most.

2 Likes

Of course the timeline can be accelerated by active hunting but I would still say at least a year if that would be a factor. Cause in any situation there’s always isolated pockets that won’t ever be found till much later (which in this scenario will have most likely died out at that point).

1 Like

a few years is a point of no return. they will be everywhere by then, they simply can’t poison that much water in that big of an area. having a prepared chemical that they put in a few water sources in the lab radius is the only way to stop it

1 Like

I dunno if it’s a point of no return but a much larger timeline. If combined with the factor of active hunting non affected areas of fluffs would be identified and would be more focused upon. Again then it would be a war of attrition but not impossible to “win”.

1 Like

I plan on the chemical being wide spread and even released through man made rain for areas that lack proper water sources. Modern real world tricks used today to help droughts, plus the chemical. It would be released from several different locations to get as far spread as possible.

1 Like

And yes hunting would be encouraged, but once the actual product comes out it will be made illegal to abuse them since they are no longer the flawed stupid ugly creatures they once were, and it would pertain to all hasbio biotoy product lines. They would also come infertile so the only way to get one is through hasbio

I’d say never. There are too many and humans will fight it. You can’t get all the water into the world. And even if you did and it took out wild ones, odds are at least a few private owners and even commercial breeding operations would still have fertile fluffies by the time the poisoning became public. And some number of people will certainly try to restore their fluffies’ fertility. And once it comes out that Hasbio did that, even if the government was on board and they don’t get into legal trouble, it will be a PR nightmare.

3 Likes

As someone with experience with wildlife conservation, once a species is established in an area it is next to impossible to eradicate them. There are also a few things that would prevent the chemicals in the water plan from working, mainly that there are literally millions of water sources that the fluffies could drink from and it would be impossible to dose each source. Second, and most importantly, there is absolutely no way that adding a chemical sterilizing agent to the water would be allowed by government or private institutions, especially by conservation groups due to the possible risks it could pose.
But if we ignore all those factors, it comes down to how long a fluffy lives in your headcanon. If no Fluffies are able to reproduce, then it Is only a matter of waiting for all the fluffies to die.

3 Likes

I think the big thing is if they spread out they’ll eventually find niches throughout. High birth rate would likely keep up with predation. If enough can survive to pass on knowledge then they’ll be harder to actually eradicate.

Places with truly miserable extremes in weather would likely have less problems, heat or cold. Places that aren’t as bad? They’ll linger the most there. For instance, when I lived in Georgia the summers sucked but weren’t the worst, and the winters were very mild. They’d likely have population booms and busts.

3 Likes

The point of the story I’m writing is that a small number actually were mostly immune, with a very small handful of mares only capable of ever producing one offspring in their entire lives. Now that they are classified as extinct, if they are found they are considered rare and valuable to certain people just like other recalled toys.

Also you seem to be putting maybe too much realism into your answers and reasons. It’s a universe where talking horse biotoys are a normal thing

Here in Hawai’i they’d be dangerous I think. We have neither the heat nor the cold, stuff is growing year round, very few native predators, most native plants don’t have many defenses (thorns, poisons, whatever) compared to other plants around the world, etc. Lots of formerly agricultural land, forests, rainforests, etc, for them to hide in.

We’ve got feral chickens and cats all over the place as is.

3 Likes