"Lavender: Fowl Play" by NobodyAtAll

Note: this story takes place between “We Gotta Power” and “Today Is Fighting Day”. Read “Getting High” first.

You are Lavender, and things have been going great!

A new housie is being built on the fawm, for your first daddeh and his special friend Amy, and James and his special friend Lilah.

Your second daddeh owns a lot of land around here, he said. The land’s been owned by your daddehs’ family for a long time, he said.

And your uncle Klaus said he used to live on the fawm, before he got kicked out like your old munstah daddeh did.

Well, he’s back on the fawm, but he said “You can’t exactly say I’m living here, I’m not living anymore.”

That makes sense.

So, your first daddeh and James are moving out of the big housie, but they aren’t going far away. They’ll be right here, still on the fawm, you’ll see them every bwite time.

You still feel sad about all the bad things that happened to them in the timewines they came from.

Especially what happened to the other you, from your first daddeh and aunt Amy’s timewine! You still remember meeting the other you at the Inn, chatting about the differences between your two timewines.

The one thing you know you had in common was this: you’d sacrifice yourself for those you love in a heartbeat!

But, if those things hadn’t happened, you wouldn’t have your old daddeh back, and you wouldn’t have a nice James, either.

So, something good came out of all the sadness.

Right now, you’re watching your mummah, who is giving the chikkins nummies and collecting the eggies.

It’s funny, watching the chikkins num.

bok bok bok bok

You tried some of the chikkin’s nummies once.

It wasn’t very yummy, in your opinion, but the chikkins seem to like it.

Every since the whole dark cloudy munstah thing, you’ve become good friends with Blueberry. You had met him before that, all the way back at the baw-bee-kyoo pawty, but since you fought all of those munstahs and dee-muns together, you’ve become really good friends.

You can’t fight munstahs and dee-muns with someone and not be friends with them.

And you and Blueberry have discovered your connection. Your old munstah daddeh gave Blueberry forever sleepies in his first life.

When Blueberry told you the whole story, some time before the dark sky thing, you realized something.

That’s why your munstah daddeh wouldn’t let you play in the back gawden anymore! He gave Blueberry and his entire Smarty Herd forever sleepies there, and you were right there, in the housie!

And he never told you!

Because of this, when you ran into your old munstah daddeh, during the dark sky thing, and you used your floaty thing to hit him with a twuck…

It felt really good.

But being friends with Blueberry means you’ve visited his fowest a lot.

And you’ve met one of his babbehs, Dot, who isn’t actually a babbeh anymore, but Blueberry is her daddeh.

What’s the hoomin word? Oh yeah. She’s Blueberry’s “daw-tuw”.

And you know that Dot likes hugging dok-tow Pierre’s biwdies. They’re called “doh-dohs”, and the dok-tow cwoned them. As he explained it, cwones are basically copies of living things.

Like those cwones of mistah Cal and mistah Miles that your old munstah daddeh and munstah James used to give lots of hoomins and fluffies forever sleepies.

So, getting to the point, you wonder if chikkins like being hugged as much as doh-dohs do.

You decide to find out.

You waddle over to one of the chikkins.

bok bok bok

And you hug it.

bok?

The chikkin seems to like it.

You make a mental note to tell Dot, next time you see her.

She just had babbehs of her own, so she’s got that to deal with, and you’ve been meaning to ask one of the hoomins on the fawm to bloop you to Blueberry’s fowest.

Maybe mistah Cal could give you your own blooper. Blueberry has one, in his big metal stompy thing.

You make another mental note to ask mistah Cal.

You can’t do it now, he’s very busy.

You’ve had babbehs of your own, so you want to be there for Dot, give her some advice.

Plus, you love babbehs, even if they’re not your babbehs. Daisy and Rose are the same way.

All of you fuss over Eddie, James’ fluffy.

And ever since you had your babbehs, you knew you could trust Daisy and Rose with them. When they had their babbehs, they knew they could trust you with them.

They’re the best.

And your daddeh said he’s thinking about allowing more babbehs.

“Hey, maybe we could start breeding 'em, like Dave. He could probably give us a few pointers, maybe a copy of his book…”

Just as you stop hugging the chikkin, your mummah drops an eggie.

“Whoops.”

But before the eggie can go smoosh on the ground…

It stops falling, and lands gently on the ground instead.

Your mummah picks it up.

“Thanks, Lav.”

“Nu pwob-wem, mummah. Am dat da wast eggie?”

“Yup. No, wait, this is.”

“Den Wavendew am gunna gu twain.”

“Have fun, Lav.”

“It nu am abowt fun, mummah.”

“Cal has fun when he trains. He’s training for the Intergalactic Tournament right now.”

And that’s why mistah Cal is very busy.

Mistah Cal told you, and all of the Kay-oh-tiks, that he’d been invited to that, along with Marley. He explained that a lot of ayy-wee-enns were going to get together and fight, and they’d asked him and Marley to join them. And that a dwagon will give whoever wins a wish. The winner can ask for anything, and the dwagon will make it happen.

You didn’t know dwagons could do that…

But if you won, you’d wish for an endless supply of bwack-cuwwant ice cweam.

Oh, what could have been.

Maybe they’ll invite you to the next one?

When is the next one?

Then mistah Cal explained to you that ayy-wee-enns are people from other pwanets. Like the bad ones that came out of all those huge flying things a while back, but not all ayy-wee-enns are bad, mistah Cal said. You believed him. You’ve met mistah Gene, he’s an ayy-wee-enn, and him and his fluffy Roswell are really nice! You’ve met mistah J’onn too, he can make really good nummies, and him and his fluffy Megan are really nice too!

Mistah Cal wasn’t worried about meeting any bad ayy-wee-enns during the big ayy-wee-enn fighting thing.

“I’ve met a few mean sons of space bitches, but I haven’t met an alien as bad as Umbra yet. What are the odds I run into someone that bad on Lumix?”

Then he explained what a pwanet is.

You then asked your daddeh if he could take you to other pwanets.

“If the Tele-Ports weren’t a thing, I’d say hell no, but since they are a thing… I’ll think about it. I think we’re due a vacation…”

Your daddeh explained that a Tele-Port is a place where you can go to other pwanets really quickly. That’s how mistah Cal and Marley will be going to Lumix.

These days, a lot of your questions get answers!

But you still don’t know what a hookie is!

You make another mental note to ask mistah Victor, because he looks like he would tell you.

You shrug.

“Otay, mummah, yu haf a point dewe.”

You float yourself out of the pen, with a little housie for the chikkins called a “coop”, and waddle over to behind the big housie the fluffies and your daddeh and mummah live in, towards a big wooden thing that looks a bit like a hoomin with no armies or weggies, on a long thing.

Like the long thing your munstah daddeh put Blueberry on.

Mistah Cal gave you that, and he said it’s called a “twain-in dummeh”. It’s so you can practice your powahs without anyone getting owwies.

There’s a lot of pointy soft thingies lying around it, that mistah Cal also gave you, saying they’re called “newf dawts”.

The other fluffies saw you, knew where you were going, and followed you.

They’ve seen what you’re about to do before. They like to watch.

As you look at one of the dawts, it floats up.

You look at the dummeh’s head, and the dawt flies towards it.

bonk

Right on target.

As the others ooh and aah, you make another dart fly at the dummeh.

bonk

And another.

bonk

And another.

bonk

Practice makes perfect, after all.

And you don’t want to lose your touch.

1 Like

…Just couldn’t resist a pun could you?

1 Like

With this story, I started with the pun and went from there. I’d had the title in mind for a while, and I had to use it sooner or later, I just needed to put together the actual story.

1 Like