Pushing The Sky Away Part 1 ( AMDk7)

So, today 3 September I’ve been part of FC for a year.
I decided to sign up on FC on a whim on 3 September 2021, and this is what I’ve written for the occasion.

Pushing the sky away

“Daddeh wook, bwimps !” The dull colored pegasus fluffy points excitedly up at the sky.
The drone of a blimp fills the cramped streets, of New Orleans, as it glides down towards the anchor point at the end of the street in an open field.
The blimp is a sightseeing blimp, unlike most other commercial blimps which carry passengers over the Atlantic or haul freight and mail around.
When the steam trains are not fast enough.
And that’s more often than you think.
Most of the other fluffies, pet fluffies, feral fluffies and fluffies going for walkies with their owners, react a whole lot less thrilled at the blimp.
Just because they are used to the sight of them, and one coming in close, doesn’t mean they are thrilled at the sight of it.
And the streets fill with the yelps, screams and chirping and peeping, of the assorted fluffies, over the usual street level noise of the steam machines, that power the great city on the delta of the Mississippi.
The airship slowly and noisly glides down towards an open field where its temporary anchor points are located , the dull colored fluffy tugs on her leash to get a closer look.
“Wook,” she says. “Fwy daddeh, fwuffeh and, daddeh can fwy ?”
Her name is Frosty, which is short for Frosting but she refers to herself as Frosty because that’s easier.
That’s where her name comes from as well, she looks like she is frosted.
She has a blue fluffy coat and a three color mane and tail, in red yellow and blue, with swooping facial markings that make it look like she has a head of hair.
She has yellow hooves and a little yellow horn sticks out of the hair.
She would be a very desirable fluffy, except that her colors are not eye searing bright.
They are of a dull variety, so she was never picked up despite her friendly and inquisitive nature, until recently.
Robin Ollershaw, her owner never really wanted a fluffy, if he is being honest.
He saw them all over the place off course, they are impossible to avoid even in the sweltering heat of Louisiana.
But he never had the time or inclination to be interested in fluffies. He works on the great six wheeled steam train engines during the week as an engineer.
The selfsame train engines that plod across the coast line and lay their own train track like some sort of 1000 ton tank, going where no train has any right to go.

But his disposition towards fluffies changed when he encountered Frosty in the pet shop his sister Heather sent him to, to pick up some cat food.
Frosty’s sunny disposition had left her, and she was marked down all the way from 25 dollars to 2,50.
Robin took pity on her and 10 minutes later he was standing outside with a brand new overjoyed fluffy, and a fluffy starterkit.
That was 2 years ago now, and Frosty and Robin have since then been inseparable.
She took an immediate interest in anything mechanical, but her true passion is and always will be flying.

“Well Frosty,” begins Robin. “We already flew on the blimp earlier this week.”
“But daddeh pwease.”
“And the Saturday before that”
“Pwease ?”
She looks at him with big doglike eyes, and he could swear he hears a whimper.
He sighs and gives in.
“Alright alright, we are gonna have another go around on the blimp.”
Robin cant really tell his fluffy that he would rather spend his Saturday roaming the fleamarkets or the little bazaars of New Orleans, or tinker with his various mechanical projects, than ride the blimp yet again.
It would crush her.
“Yay ! Fank ou dadded Fwosty wub ou ! Fwosty wub fwying !”
She is practically hopping on her four little leggies.
Robin can’t help but smile.
Frosty looks like a Pegasus fluffy, in truth however she is an alicorn. But her wings are so tiny, they are all but vestigial, buried under a thick layer of fluff.
She herself doesn’t even know she has them.
But the pegasus DNA has imparted it’s most important imperative.
The desire to fly.
Pegasi are even more fearless about heights then kitsune fluffies, but those are mostly found back in the old world and half way across the world in Japan, where they originated.
Robin would like to visit Japan once, crossing the great oceans in the great airships, with his trusty fluffy by his side.
But he wants to do so many things, and he doubts it will ever happen.
But it sure is fun to dream about it.

As Robin and Frosty walk down the street towards the field where the blimp is about to be anchored down and stevedores hook its mooring cables down, to anchor it down to concrete blocks with big brass rings sunk in to them, the market that springs up around the blimps each Saturday comes in to view.
The blimps are technically run by The Oculus Come And See Blimp Touring Company.
Usually referred to as The Come And See, or The Occies.
The blimps are moored behind a fence with the market build roughly around it in four rows.
It’s already pretty busy there with people walking to and fro, between the stands.
Robin and Frosty are quite well known to the stall holders, they are here nearly every Saturday.
“Here you go Confetti,” says a lady holding a ice cream out to her caramel colored unicorn fluffy.
“Fank ou mummeh,” chirps Confetti happily, as she takes the ice-cream between her front hooves.

Robin and Frosty walk their usually route through the market on their way to the blimp site, where they are greeted by the stand holders and wave or nod at them.
They walk past The Skettiswipers, which is a portable restaurant that sells icecream, fritters and sketties, run by a purple haired polish girl, with a name Robin can’t pronounce.
Everybody calls her Carmilla.
Past Tia’s fluffy world. A stand that sells DanTheMan branded Clown fluffy plushies, Advocado plushies and Carnivorous Duck plushies.
Frosty won one of those during carp dime tossing.
A game where you are supposed to toss a dime with a carp on it, in a bullseye in a fishbowl.
She still goes to sleep every day with it in her fluff basket, that’s shaped like a pie, from the PiePie brand.
They walk past the Gal With Pastels stand, which is a brand of pastel art supplies, they also sell peppermint parchments, which smell of peppermint.
They are also edible, but the peppermint flavor is so strong it overpowers everything, for the rest of the day.
Next to that is a stall that sells candies including, Swift star, a brand of star shaped candy kibble for fluffies and the Foxhoarders, fox shaped candy.
Canaieghdian maple syrup, imported all the way from Canada.
Its run by Luke King, the candy king.

A man is sitting on a bench in front of the A-S book stand, reading the Arisen Daily, a news paper that focuses on atrocities.
The front page talks about some train accident, where fifty fluffies got boiled alive by steam.
The stand next to him is the Yarrr Dread Pirate one, where a mechanical pirate goes “yarrr” and waves a hook up and down.
They sell snow globes and clockwork toys and other mechanical nick nacks.
Robin often stands here for a while, chatting for a bit and looking at their new wares.
He once bought a wind up fluffy that walks in an very wooden way and chants “wub wub wub fwuffy wub.”
Frosty doesn’t like it in the slightest, and tries to attack it each time Robin winds it up.

Their latest product is some sort of strange blender, powered by a steam machine.
The steam machine is bigger than the blender itself its sold under the name Advanced Micro Devices.
Robin can’t really see what’s so micro about it, as he walks past it.
The next stand is an open square with a little tent.
And several unusual fluffies, that get a gasp from Frosty each time they walk past, no matter how many times she has seen them.
Fire fluffies.
Fluffies with manes from pure fire, they are yellow and red and fire crackles under their skin, while their eyes glow a deep burned amber.
They lie on glowing red charcoal in glass boxes.
Placards are placed in front of the boxes, telling awful stories about science gone awry and how these poor creatures were saved from a life of servitude.
They were meant to go in to the fireboxes of steam machines, they were rescued by the Squeekyfriends.
Usually called the squeekies, a nonprofit fluffy shelter organization that has shelters all over Louisiana.
They accept donations though and Robin makes a point of always donating some of his small change when he walks past.
Frosty keeps staring at the fire fluffies, as they walk past.
She tried to come up to the glass boxes the first time she saw them, placing her hoofsies against the glass.
The glass was and stlil is extremely hot.
The screeeee could be heard all across the market, and Frosty’s front hooves swelled up to thrice their normal size.
She had huge blisters and was unable to walk for three whole weeks.
Since then there is a huge “do not touch” sign placed next to the fire fluffies.
The fire fluffies stil hold some sort of fascination for her though.
They walk past the Purplegem stand, which sells semi precious gems, especially bright purple ones that seem to glow even during the day.
And the Rose Tea stand, which sells all kinds of types of tea, including really odd ones, like dandelion and burdock.

The next stand is the Moesius farm, butter stand. Exquisitely carved butter sculptures that cost a pretty penny.
Robin always stops and has a look at them, standing in their little chilled alcoves, in all their carved glory.
But they are usually just too dear for him to buy them.
Especially to eat them.
It seems a shame to wreck them somehow. One day he wants to buy one and actually display it. in its own chilled glass stopper.
Yeah …if only.
He has tried to build one, but something went wrong instead of chilling, the stopper gets hot.
Good for molten butter he supposes.

A woman holding a bag of fruit, mostly apricots walks by.
She has a Pegasus fluffy with a white and grey coat and bright orange mane and tail on a leash.
But there is something odd about him, despite his cheerful disposition his eyes are blank.
They stare out in front of him, seeing nothing.
But that doesn’t matter because a blue micro fluffy is cheerfully walking out in front of him, talking all the way dressed in a little harness.
The micro fluffy has a service tag on its flanks.
The blind fluffy has a bit in his mouth that allows him to be lead by the micro fluffy.
Robin nods towards the woman and tips his hat slightly.

Frosty in the mean time is gawking at the plants at The Fallen Angel Gardens, run by Karn the merchant, as she always does.
because they are fluffies
Some are sprouting strawberries, others cherries. Smaller ones are practically herb bushes.
Frosty can’t get her head around the fact that they are both fluffies and plants.
But beyond that, is finally The Occulus Come And See Blimp Touring Company entrance.
Three airships can be seen suspended in the air over the fences.
Robin walks up to the turn gate where a somewhat overweight man in a flat cap is leaning against it.
As Robin pulls out his wallet the man straightens up.
“Hello there Mr Ollershaw sir,” he booms. “Good to have you again.”
“Hewwo mistah Cwayton.” chirps Frosty happily.
“And hello to you too, Miss Frosting. Mr Clayton booms at her.
Frosty giggles, at first she was scared by his big booming voice, but she soon found out she had nothing to fear from Mr Clayton.
On the contrary.
He is a good natured man with a ruddy complexion and a booming voice, that seems to love fluffies in all shapes and sizes.
He used to be a loudhailer and town crier in his younger years.
“Well, we can’t keep away Mr Clayton,” says Robin, as he counts his money.
Frosty can barely contain herself, as she bounces from one side to another.

This story was inspired by @Oculusfluffy 's steamfluffy story, though i just took the idea of fluffies in a steam punk setting and ran with it.

The main character is one of the fluffies I adopted from @Gal-with-pastels

Frosty

frosty

This thing is also littered with Cameo’s
Can you spot them all ?

Part 2 Pushing The Sky Away Part 2 (AMDk7)
Part 3 Pushing The Sky Away Part 3 (AMDk7)
Part 4 Pushing The Sky Away Part 4 Final (AMDk7)

17 Likes

Because I wrote this for my fluffiversary here I included a load of cameo’s of the community in it
The following people have a cameo in the story
In no particular order.

Cameo's

@Oculusfluffy
@Gal-with-pastels
@PeppermintParchment
@Virgil
@Dragonixa
@father_dan_the_man
@Carniviousduck
@Carpdime
@PiePie
@anon3053411

Can you spot all the cameo’s ?

Disclaimer

This was just done for fun.
If you want me to remove your cameo please let me know
If you don’t have a cameo your name was either not on the front page at the time of writing
Or I couldn’t fit your name in.

5 Likes
More Cameo's

@Star-The-Alicorn
@Foxhoarder
@ArisenLeaf
@A-S
@Dread_Pirate
@KingLuke
@Tia
@caneighdian
@SqueakyFriend
@Moesius

3 Likes
Final Cameo's

@purplegem
@RoseTea
@DisastrousApricot
@FallenAngel007
@Karn

4 Likes

Well, Happy Birth-errr… signupday?

2 Likes

Thanks.
I hope you like your cameo, I tried to make them as appropriate as possible.

1 Like

Love the cameos and Happy Anniversary :tada:

3 Likes

Thanks, glad you like them
And your own hopefully ( a garden stand with plant fluffies)

2 Likes

This is so sweet! Frosting is a darling :purple_heart: thanks for including me as cameo! I loved it :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Glad you liked your cameo, and the story.

3 Likes

Huh, fire fluffies for me! Didn’t expect that one. I’ve only drawn a fire fluffy like… once? And people thought I set that one on fire.

firefine

As for picking out all the cameos, it may be easier to pick out what isn’t a cameo in that section, haha. Do admit, I have no idea if the fire-fluffy concept is someone else’s cameo and I’m just running the shelter.

4 Likes

You are running the shelter.
The fire fluffies i had in mind specifically was one that stuck a marshmallow in its own fire mane.
I thought that was one of yours but as it turns out it isn’t.
I can’t remember whose it is though.

And yeah the market is pretty much nothing but cameo’s, that was the easiest way to slip them in and not have them look forced or out of place.

1 Like

Bonus mystery cameo.

2 Likes

Yes ! o.o

1 Like

Found it
It is by Quickhorn
https://fluffy-community.com/t/demon-fluffy-by-quickhorn/24376

Awww! The PiePie brand pie fluffy bed! So cute ty for the cameo!

2 Likes

Well i saw your first pic on here, and i just had too.
It just too adorbs not have fluffies sleep in pie like beds.

1 Like

I’m like so surprised I made it in here somehow. But I’m also like honored/tickled pink by this.

2 Likes

No worries.
Glad you like the cameo\story.

1 Like

AHHH THIS IS CUTE! thanks for letting me cameo in it :3

2 Likes