Question about SLURS [by ChungusMyBungus]

Not sure if I need my title in the name but whatever.

I’ve just written a fairly extensive story in which one of the fluffies is named after a slur (the F word used to describe homosexuals. No not ‘Fancy’, the other one).

I just want to check before I upload anything, is the site okay with that? I’m assuming the answer is yes, I just want to make certain first is all.

10 Likes

I’ve done it before. I made sure to have a disclaimer at the beginning warning people

6 Likes

Good move, might include that just in case.

2 Likes

I’ve only ever seen one person get weird about slurs here and I think they left not long after admitting that… Boots’ idea of a “strong language rating” is a good one though

8 Likes

If it’s not personally attacking people then I think almost anything goes.

5 Likes

In my opinion, using that word (or others) in the context of something being said by a character in a story, rather than it being used to describe any actual person or to disrespect a specific person directly, is acceptable and doesn’t mean you approve of the use of the slur against people.

I used a slur I personally find offensive in a story but in the context I used it, I don’t feel I’m showing approval for using that word against a person. You know?

I also feel that a disclaimer that the chapter/story contains a slur is enough. If someone doesn’t want to see that word used, they can then make the choice not to.

9 Likes

Yeah that’s how I feel too, I just wanted to make sure I wouldn’t be instantly banned over it or anything. As said I figured this site was okay about that sort of stuff but just wanted to check first.

5 Likes

That’s very considerate of you.

I think everyone here understands the lore, and this niche subgenre is the mutant bastard child of 4chan and that everything outside of a hugbox is going to be a little upsetting.

Not everyone will want to read that, but speaking from personal experience it can be immensely healing to reclaim slurs like that in your art. Especially ones that had been used against you.

As long as we’re attacking fluffies and not each other.

8 Likes

Contrary to popular belief I’m actually a very nice person.

I just enjoy seeing fluffy ponies get put through wood-chippers.

10 Likes

as a gay person I am no fan of it. But considering some of the other content on this site if it is simply used for story telling I’ll hold no issues.

5 Likes

I agree with using a disclaimer, I’ve had characters use racial slurs but I’ve tried to include a warning on whatever stories include them.

The discussion between where the line is on abusing Fluffies is a little iffy but verbal and emotional abuse is part of that and calling a Fluffy an offensive name is something an abuser would do

6 Likes

Yeah, in context it’s a deliberately awful name given to a male fluffy (a Smarty, of course) who was found being double-teamed by two others. So naturally, the abusive owners give him that name.

2 Likes

I’d assume that this community is mature enough to understand and not shirk away from such things if we know that the writer created it to highlight a point and not just to use it for shock value or worse advocate ill intent. Then again there are a LOT of people irl who do even if there is an actual point to the hateful shit simply as a knee jerk reaction.

2 Likes

Chiming in just to agree, yeah, it’s probably best to put a warning, just in case. And good on you for checking first! I think the queer community has a lot of different tolerances for the word so it’s kind of a spectrum for how much it can offend. I personally don’t mind both as a bisexual that regularly got called a fat dyke and as somebody that grew up in a time where we called everything “gay” and called each other that slur just whenever, but people’s mileage is gonna vary. Especially with it just being a character saying it and it being towards the fluffy, I think a warning should suffice. <3 Thanks for being not only a good and fucking prolific writer but also a considerate one.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m part of the LGBT+ community myself, I just wanted to make sure I was clear on the rules for the site. Personally I don’t mind, I just wanted to be sure.

People who don’t get offended by words have more mature problems to worry about, and people who do get offended by words have their brittle mental health to worry about.

6 Likes

Art shouldn’t be impeded. That’s why I made so much foal rape.

5 Likes

Foal rape is the highest form of artistic expression

5 Likes

Thank you for your service.

2 Likes

Freedom of expression is a very important part of a community. For a community to thrive it must explore parts that make people uncomfortable so that way creativity wont be stunted. I feel that it grounds the world of the story closer to ours, making people more easily imagine or comprehend the story.

3 Likes