Shelter for amputee. (by: artist-kun)

Well if we talk about the survival of fluffies in the wild, and not their creation, I can agree, not very realistic

3 Likes

Exactly. Fluffies exist in our stories because the stories say they have to exist. And that means that all of the wildly illogical coincidences that have to happen so fluffies can exist are guaranteed to happen.

But in real life, you ain’t got that shit going for you. Even if Hasbro gets the best fucking scientists on the planet to work on it, if it turns out that fluffies can’t be made, they won’t be made.

After all, that’s another problem our characters don’t have to worry about, but we do:

For them, the laws of physics are optional.

2 Likes

we have created universes full of contradictions.

6 Likes

Look, that’s the great thing about stories. They don’t have to be realistic. They don’t have to obey the laws of physics. All I’m really trying to say is that fluffies already make the story unrealistic, so people should at least have fun with it. Go nuts.

1 Like

High And Low Science Fiction

2 Likes

I have the opposite perspective. Fluffies are usually portrayed as very handwavy, Applied Phlebotinum.

Trying to ground it, or explore new variations of fiction and tropes with them, is very fertile ground.

Then again I don’t usually feel “cute aggression” and am here for Fluffies to cause misery to humans or to simply change the world as mankind’s first true creation.

So I am already the outlier here.

2 Likes

I’d say that fluffies are on the soft side of the scale, since A: you would pretty much need fantastic technology that treats the laws of physics as mere guidelines to make them, and B: despite “they’re genetically engineered, and maybe they’ve got a chip in their brains”, there’s no actual scientific explanation for exactly how they were created. I mean, we’ve already got that gene editing stuff, what’s it called, CRISPR? But it’s not on that level yet, we can’t just splice together DNA from a bunch of different species and expect the result to be viable, let alone anything resembling what you were really expecting. I mean, we could end up with fluffies, but odds are we end up with shambling lumps of mystery meat that scream “KILL ME! JUST LET ME DIE!”

2 Likes

Agh, I so wish I could remember the short story where scientists create a pegasus for a rich woman.

It was in a collection of science fiction featuring Asimov.

Its so very relevant to Fluffies.

2 Likes

True, I’m more about going deeper into the relationship between humans and fluffies, and analyzing why people hugbox or abuse them. If you’ve been reading my stories, you’ve seen how many lampshades I’ve hung and how many tropes I’ve deconstructed.

2 Likes

Yeah, again, science fiction. We can write all the stories about people going to Mars we want, but if Elon Musk says it can’t be done yet, it can’t be done yet.

And that dude would know, so I’ll trust him on it.

2 Likes

@Thk @NobodyAtAll
FOICHTFOICHTFOIGHT

5 Likes

Hey, it’s a fun discussion, and it’s still on topic. We ain’t flinging shit at each other, we ain’t hitting below the belt. So it’s all good.

2 Likes

To an extent you do have to make some logic leaps. After all, science fiction referencing existing technology is just something modern even if you take the step to make it more widespread or slightly better.

Star Trek inspiring CT scans and cellphones required “it works because it works” though the experts Roddenberry consulted told him they were feasible ideas if centuries off.

Fluffies are not entirely impossible. Shooting sparks is, the fact they exist in an otherwise current world in most fiction absolutely is.
But even programming is plausible. Butterfly memories provide a good idea of a handwave doesn’t have to go as far.

Now, the Fluffy plot vulnerability is a problem. But I complain about that enough already.

2 Likes

True, I know that art and life can reflect each other. I’m not ruling out the possibility, I’m just not jumping to conclusions either. I’m looking at what is, not what could be. It’s good to dream, but it’s also necessary to keep both feet on the ground. You spend too much time dreaming, you forget to live.

And look how much time there was between Star Trek introducing those concepts, and the concepts becoming a reality. The tech of the time just wasn’t sufficient. And it’s not like people said “Hey, let’s make that Star Trek shit real!” It’s probably more like, the tech was invented, and then people noticed the resemblance.

EDIT: oh wait, it was like that, wasn’t it? Derp. This is what I get for not completely paying attention.

2 Likes

Something I forgot to mention is a comic called Spinnerette (sadly, it went downhill and lapsed into obscurity).

Simplified version is she is a superhero, gets stuck in a multiverse story and meets other eras of herself.

She is talking to the 1940’s version of her girlfriend, a paraplegic in a robot suit and asks how she made the robot suit with that level of tech. The response is “I miniaturized the transistors.”
When she asks how that can make the robot suit work, she just repeats “I miniaturized the transistors.”
Suddenly she is aware that the neuron/cybernetic interface explanation her own gave her is likely sci fi handwavy bullshit that makes no sense either.

The bullshit I’m using of ectogenic tanks, genetic smelters, and artificial organisms to alter DNA and existing structure, do novo mutations, and the like are all handwavy ways to get to something realistic, or justify something that isn’t like how brown Fluff works.

2 Likes

I was aware of that webcomic, but I’ve never really read it.

And the point that I was trying to make in the beginning is that fluffies are pretty much made of sci-fi bullshit. So if someone has a low tolerance for bullshit in their stories, they really have to ask themselves why they’re on FluffyCommunity.

2 Likes

Same reason I am despite not really possessing much cute aggression to make abuse satisfying.

An object can fit into more than one aesthetic. A trope can fit into more than one story.
Thanks to the lack of a unified definitive Fluffy or universe since there is no original/highly definitive author or IP, you can shift it around to fit anything.

Forcing the concept to be grounded is satisfying. Sorting out the messiness and creating logic.
Then getting referenced by someone looking for a quick bit of handwave to jump into their fantastic elements while maintaining the suspension of disbelief is likewise satisfying.

1 Like

perfect test subjects for the tea powered artificial limbs, gotta see how much tea is needed to have it powered for an entire fluffy life

2 Likes

Yeah, but again, that’s the point, fluffies can’t really be grounded. They’re an inherently fantastic element. So I figured, “If I’m going to have those in my stories, why stop there? Why not just go nuts with it?”

And fluffies having superpowers lead to one of my favorite parts of my headcanon:

Humans and fluffies fighting side by side.

2 Likes

I immediately thought of the game Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure.

If you’ve played it, you know why.

2 Likes