Squeaky Fluffy how-to's and style quirks (Artist: SqueakyFriend)

First up: How to draw a SqueakyFriend-style fluffy in 8 easy steps!

When I first posted that tutorial, a commenter said “now add the cheese grater”. So I did!
grater

Next up… The anatomy of a SqueakyFriend-style fluffy!

anatomy 2

anatomy 3

Last up… Quirks!

Quirk 1:
double second
A fairly rare mutation - in addition to single-color and rainbow-color manes, sometimes a fluffy ends up with two secondary colors! They don’t blend, it just looks like they dyed half their mane. If the fluffy has wings tipped with the secondary color, the tips may or may not be similarly affected.

Theoretically these fluffies should be worth more, but that’s only if all three colors are good - a bad doubled secondary color just makes it look like it’s rolled in garbage. Either way, be careful of scammers with hair dye.

Quirk 2:

The most common types of fluffy eyes are single-colored irises with pupils that match, though perhaps with a darker or lighter hue (even white!). But there are other variants - fluffies with no pupils at all, spiral patterned eyes, Doubled Color eyes, even those who have one eye of each type. Of note is that while it’s not too rare for bat/demon fluffs to get darkened or colored sclera, in very rare cases regular fluffies get them too.

Unlike other features, the eyes don’t affect the fluffy’s value, to discourage people from trying to force a specific eye look and crippling their pets. The only exception is if a fluffy has mismatched eyes, which will lower its value as it makes the fluffy look damaged.

In fluffies who get Doubled Color eyes, the iris and pupil get wholly different colors. It’s unrelated to heterochromia, but they can end up with both. Let’s not think about how that would look. So generally, when it comes to eyes, go nuts!

By the way, while it’s rare, not only the mane can get a “rainbow” color - the fur and eyes can too. This is solely because the mental image of a fluffy getting rainbow for every color is very funny to me.

And now you have everything you need to make your very own SqueakyFriend style fluffy!

67 Likes

I snickered at the add a haystack.

2 Likes

Bookmarked

5 Likes

Same

1 Like

The only hugbox artist that makes me go aww.

4 Likes

I want 10 newborns, please
I love your style, I always wondered how you did that spiky-smooth fluff and derpy expression, it’s so cute!

Kinda weird that heterochromia might lower fluffy’s value, but then again it comes to the colors

Other fluffies might react negatively towards it.

1 Like

that should only rise in value then, like alicorns are valuable because they are rare and have high risk of dying from other fluffies

Thank you! And oh, I might have mis-written that, but fluffies with regular heterochromia are fine. This is specifically because heterochromia’s a documented thing in other species though. If they have heterochromia that’s different colors than blue/green, I have no idea how that’d work out?

“Mismatched eyes” mainly refers to when one eye is missing a pupil or iris, or the fluffy has one dark pupil and one light pupil, etc. It just generally makes it look like the fluffy’s been damaged, which isn’t any good for show fluffies, and thus lowers their overall value. It’s good if you want a discounted pedigree pet though, that’s what Parfait from one comic was!

4 Likes

ooh, the damaged fluffy look makes sense

Goal sighted.

1 Like

Sorry to ask this but do you draw on paper or use a program cus if it’s a program could you tell me which one?

I mainly use a free version of OpenCanvas from 2004, which is probably not helpful.

I also use a free version of Artweaver that I got with my tablet. You could get that.

1 Like

You could also try https://www.sketchbook.com/ which is free.

Its free for phones/tablets, but the Windows and Mac versions (ie, Sketchbook Pro) is a very reasonable $19.99 I think. I use the Android version a lot, and am starting to mess with the Windows version (which is what @infraredturbine uses).

@111
Lot of folks here use Medibang. Others use Krita. ClipStudio is popular. I used Infinite Painter for quite some time and still do. Procreate is very popular (I know more serious artists who use it, a well as taechers). Some folks might use Photoshop but its not worth the price if you’re not serious and making money. Corel Painter goes onto the Humble Bundle periodically (@ripoffMcgee pointed me that way).

For your stage of things I don’t think the tool matters so much as practice and learning.

2 Likes

I see.
Ever since I got Manga Studio 4 That’s my go to.

Couldn’t agree more.
It’s less about the tools they dont really matter as practice til your fingers hurt and then practice more.

Good tools help but they wont magically make your work better.
Only learning and practice wil do that.

To be honest the fluff is the hardest part to me

Draw a haystack. You can draw a fluffy with its head sticking out of a haystack if you want a transitionary period.

2 Likes

I really appreciate this tutorial, @Squeakyfriend. Your fluffies have a very distinct look, and I also appreciate the little bit of lore that you included within this post! I hope to write more about Squeakyfriend fluffies as they’re so cute and loveable! They’re some of my favourite designs in fluffies, alongside with Waggytail, Carpdime and Coalheart!

I hope to give this tutorial a try some day!

This guide was really helpful thank you for making this!

2 Likes