Strudel Lives Forever (By Za)

Strudel Lives Forever

A Short Story by Za

Strudel and I had a big day today. We woke up early to go get breakfast at Pancake Palace. We both had her favorite, blueberry pancakes. I got her a big stack and let her eat until she couldn’t hold another bite. Syrup was all over her face, but we didn’t care. Today was her special day.

After that, we went to the park. We were there waiting when the groundskeeper unlocked the gate. I carried her around, we played I Spy, we sat and talked about our happiest memories. Strudel loves to remind me of the time I accidentally switched our plates of spaghetti. She ate my normal plate while I ate her special fluffy spaghetti. I’d never felt that sick before in my life. Strudel stayed by my side the whole night I was throwing up. “Is otay daddeh,” she told me, “Stwudew gib huggies tiww da sickies gu way!”

In the afternoon, we sat at the park and listened to Strudel’s favorite songs. She loved anything by The Wiggles. I counted ten times we listened to Fruit Salad. I didn’t mind. I sat and sang with her each and every time. Today was her day, and I’d do whatever she wanted. I even got us ice cream. She loved mint chocolate chip, and so did I.

In the evening, we went back home. We picked up a few things. I grabbed Strudel’s favorite blanket, her favorite stuffy, and some spaghetti-flavored treats. I let her have one before we left, since she’d been a good girl all day. She wanted to rest her legs a while, but we still had one more place to go today. I coaxed her back out of the house with a second treat. It was okay, today was her day.

At 7:00 pm, we arrived at the vet. Strudel and I sat in the waiting room for what felt like hours. She kept telling me she wanted to go home. Her bones were aching, and she was tired. I promised her this was the last place we’d go today. She curled up in my lap and rested.

When the doctor called us back, we were both nervous. Strudel never liked the vet. She was being a brave girl, so I gave her a treat. She loved these spaghetti treats. They were the first solid food I gave her when I started weaning her off of milk almost fifteen years ago.

When the doctor came back with the shot, Strudel shrank away into my lap. I gave her another treat and promised her it wouldn’t hurt. It would make her feel better.

“It’ll be okay,” I told her. “You’re such a brave girl for coming to the vet with me.”

“Stwudew nu wike meanie shot, shots gib huwties.”

“This shot’s different,” I promised. “This one will make all the hurties go away.”

“Stwudew nu huwties nu mowe?”

“Never again.”

“Dat mean Stwudew nu can gu fowebah sweepies?”

I hesitated to answer that question.

“You’ll live forever, Strudel.”

“Fowebah wif daddeh?”

“Forever with daddy.”

Strudel yawned, snuggling up against me. She didn’t even notice the needle that was in her hindquarters. She was such a brave girl.

“Daddeh am wite,” she said. “Stwudew… nu can feew huwties… nu mowe.”

“I love you, Strudel.”

“Strudel?”

34 Likes

Damn. This one hit hard buddy.

4 Likes

Fork me I’m crying. 10/10.

4 Likes

you-tube-potter-puppet-pals

8 Likes

Mega bonus points for the Potter Puppet Pals reaction gif. Thanks for reading!

7 Likes

5 Likes

Thanks for reading, Dan! :smiley:

3 Likes

Thank you Axe! :smiley:

Also, I wish this site would stop turning : D into emojis.

1 Like

I cried writing it, lmao. Thanks for reading man

2 Likes

This was so good! Definitely gave me a stab in the heartstrings :cry:

3 Likes

Thanks for reading, I’m glad you liked the story!

3 Likes

Goodbye Strudel. :sob:

1 Like

I had to let my cat go last year. She was amazing and kind and I had to pick between her getting the shot, or trying to keep her on life support try to keep her alive, even though her mind was mostly gone… I still wonder if I made the right decision, and I hope she knows I love her still.
My point is I never got to have one last special day, and I’d give anything to have been able to. But reading about someone who did, even in fiction really… helps. I’m crying, but it’s a happy kind of crying.
Sorry for getting rambly, great story here.

2 Likes

I’m so glad my story struck such a chord with you. I know you made the right decision, even though it wasn’t an easy one to make. I hope you’re doing better now. Hugs, man. Hugs.

1 Like

A pain anyone who has had to put down a pet for the greater good has felt. I like stories where there is a mercy in death.
Good sadbox.

1 Like

Thank you, Peppermint! I’m so glad you enjoyed the story.

1 Like

Apparently I already read this one! But it was a great re-read.
This is definitely impactful for such a short story, especially since neither our narrator or Strudel is physically described. That makes it easy to put ourselves and our beloved pets in the story and make it more “personal”. You’re a good author.
Still excellent sadbox,I stand by my statement.

1 Like

Thank you for the reread and the words of encouragement!

1 Like

Struddle: “Stwudew nu huwties nu mowe?”
Owner: “Never again.”
Struddle: ~Guess i’ll die meme~

1 Like

Lmfao. Thanks for reading man, hope you enjoyed

1 Like