The Big Day (Dragonixa)

Sup! Here’s my entry for the Theme Week ^w^ Hope you enjoy!

• Honey, you ready to leave?

• Yeah, just give me a moment!

She tapped her remaining eyelid with a brush, applying blue glittery pigment. It matched her shiny dress perfectly. White pearls decorated her neck and ears, as well as pins stuck to her dark blonde hair, keeping it neat and tidy.

A young black haired man walked in on her and grabbed her waist from behind. He kissed her neck and hugged her, admiring her beauty in the mirror before them.

• You look gorgeous, Celia - he smiled.

• Thank you, George. I always liked you in a suit. It… suits you - she winked at him with a goofy grin.

They both shared a laugh and kissed. George checked the time on his silver watch.

• Time to go. If we don’t leave now, we’re gonna spend this anniversary lookin’ fancy and eating on the floor.

• Okay, let’s go.

Celia quickly rumaged through her purse to make sure she had everything. One thing especially concerned her, but it was there, safely tucked in one of the little pockets inside. After putting on her white and tan high-heels, she was ready for their big day.

George’s black Toyota GR 86 waited for them outside. He opened the door for his girlfriend, then sat behind the wheel and started the engine. After a 15 minute ride, they found a place to park right at the entrance to the Sunny Gorge Restaurant, then George left the car. He opened the door for Celia once again, this time helping her leave by taking her lean, pale hand.

• You’re such a gentleman for me today - she smirked at him playfully, placing her steps gracefully towards the restaurant’s door.

• Anything for my love - he bowed slightly and followed her, after locking his car.

As they entered, their elegant attire immediately contrasted against the casual appearance of other customers. It wasn’t a high-end restaurant by any means, but it didn’t matter to the couple. This place meant a lot more to them than any place on Earth.

One of the waitresses caught a glimpse of Celia and a fake smile she was just giving to one of her clients suddenly brightened. She quickly finished taking the order and ran up to the girl.

• Celia! I missed you so much, I haven’t seen you in ages!

• Frankie! - she hugged her tight. - Not much had changed here, had it?

• Ever since you left we only replaced that one ugly portrait with some landscape painting, but that’s about it. Also, George! You’re looking super fancy today! Which table have you guys booked?

• The one by the window, number 6 I reckon? - George pointed at the table, where a little card with “No. 6 Reservation 4:30pm” handwritten on it was placed in a large pint.

• Let me check… Ah! Yes, you must be right. Unfortunately I won’t be your waitress today, but Hubert will take care of you in a bit, m’kay? Happy anniversary, guys!

• Thanks, Frankie! - the couple waved at her together and took their place.

Once they settled in, a tall and lanky black waiter quickly took their order and left them to chat. The Sunny Gorge wasn’t very busy that day, which was pretty standard for this place in the middle of the week. This was exactly why they chose this day. Celia sighed.

• It was exactly this table, wasn’t it?

• Yeah… I’ll never forget what you’ve done for me back then - he leaned his head on his hand and watched her with a dreamy expression.

• Come on, you looked like the saddest puppy! How couldn’t I cheer up such a cutie?

George giggled.

• You were like my guardian angel. If it wasn’t for you, I could have lost my life, you know?

• I know. I’m honestly glad that Dorothy accepted the offer to hire you on the spot, especially after… you know.

• Yeah - he looked down, slightly saddened. - I still have no clue why they chose to fire me from the Golden Herring and make that idiot take my spot. I was a 100 times better of a cook than him.

• I guess they liked his money - she puffed and shook her head. - I seriously can’t see any other reason. He must have bribed your boss or something.

• Could be possible… But it doesn’t matter now - he took her hand and kissed it. - Now we have a successful restaurant of our own and we knocked it out of the park.

• Hell yes we did!

Right when she said it, Hubert brought them two types of wine.

• Would you like a red, or would you like a white? Both are good, I’m telling ya!

• Red - the couple chose, almost as if they prepared for that answer.

• Exquisite choice!

• Thanks, Hubert!

The waiter filled their pints with an aromatic cabernet sauvignon, asked if they needed anything else and left them again. Celia and George raised their glasses and clinked them.

• For our fifth anniversary - he announced.

• And for many years to come - she finished and they both took a sip.

A few minutes later their food arrived. Celia got her chicken paprikash, and George got his Polish boy, exactly what Celia served him over 5 years ago when they met. The nostalgic smell suddenly ramped up their appetites and they dug in without hesitation.

• It’s as good as I remember - she barely finished swallowing. - But yours was always more magical.

• You only say it to flatter me…

• No, I’m serious! This is good, though.

In the middle of eating, the blonde looked down to her purse and secretly pulled something out of it. She placed it on her lap. All of a sudden a wave of nervousness came down on her. From behind George, Frankie exchanged looks with Celia. The plump redhead could barely hide her excitement, and she spelled out: “You can do it!” without a sound to encourage her friend. She knew what was up, they talked about it before the reservation was even made. It was a big moment for Celia.

• 5 years together, huh? - she smiled.

• 5 most beautiful years of my life - he smiled back, then looked out the window.

The girl gulped and took his distraction as an opportunity to pull out the item on top of the table. She still covered it with her palms, but couldn’t look away from it. A little box with a wonderful treasure inside. A ring that was supposed to bind them together, forever.

• George… I just want you to know that I’m the happiest woman alive when I’m near you. You always make my life worth living, and… Oh, why is this so difficult? Huh… George, I… I love you so much, and I… Will you-

• … What the fuck is that?

Her world shattered. Upset, she pierced him with her fiery brown eyes, that were now filling up with tears.

• George, are you kidding me?! This is supposed to be our big moment, and this is how you react?!

• No, honey! Look over there!

Her lips tensed up, but she still followed where he pointed and was immediately confused as well. Right across the street there was a small group of very colorful living balls of fur, trotting happily together. Their faces looked horse-like, but their bodies were tiny, and their short little legs could barely touch the ground under their round bellies. Despite their stubby anatomy, they were still able to harass walking by pedestrians by clinging onto their legs and blabbering something to them.

One of the little creatures caught a glimpse on the couple inside the restaurant. Food was still on their plates, which attracted the odd fluffy specimen. Suddenly it started bouncing in place out of sheer excitement.

• NUMMIES!!! - it shrieked, which gathered the attention of the rest of the herd.

Like a rainbow wave of fluff, without a thought in their little heads, they all rushed right to the street. None of them realised there was a yellow light and a car trying to speed through it before it switched to red. Around 3 of them got ran over, blood and guts spilled on the asphalt, however they were still somehow screaming in pain.

• Oh my god! - Celia covered her mouth in shock.

Desperation drove the remaining furballs right to the window of the restaurant. The only thing that stopped them before that window though, was… well, the window. They all rammed into the glass at full speed, breaking their short horsey snouts and painting the window a crimson red. Upon impact, both Celia and George jumped and got off their seats. Frankie and Hubert rushed in.

• What’s going on, gu… Oh lord! - the waitress took a step back.

• What even are those things?! - Hubert pointed at the little creatures. A couple of them were still charging at the window, collapsing their noses more and more with each hit, but they didn’t even seem to feel any pain.

What shocked them all even more, one of the creatures spoke.

• Wai fwuffy gib yu-sewf huwties? Stahp it, fwuffy!

One of the animals, who was constantly trying to go through glass, stopped for a second. It was still possible to read confusion off its face, despite it being so mushed at this point.

• Whu am huwties? - it asked, genuinely baffled.

• Fwuffy knu! It when fwuffy hab owwies!

• Buh… Whu am owwies? Wai can’t fwuffeh get nummies? - at this point it was close to sobbing, when a sudden realisation came down on it. - Am huwties doin’ dis? Am… Am huwties bad fo’ fwuffeh? Huu…

• Nu, dummeh! Huwties am… Owwies… An’ owwies am huwties… An’ huwties… Owwies… Huw… Huuuu!!! Wai fwuffy su dummeh! Huu huuu!

Then the rest of the herd started to cry uncontrollably. They all chimed in the sob fest.

• Fwuffy pwomise nummies!!! Huu huuu huu! Hab tummy huwties!

• Whu am huwtieeees! Huuuu!!!

• Wai, dummeh, wai!!! Huwties am owwies! Wai nu un-dah-stan! Huuuuu!!!

• Wan nummies! Wan nummies!

• Nu-fwuffies am meanies! Nu gib nummies tu fwuffeh! Huu huuu…

If all the crying and stupidity wasn’t enough, they all started releasing their bowels and covering the pavement underneath them with excrement, both solid and liquid. During all the sobbing more people gathered around the window to see what’s going on, although once the unbearable stench seeped inside the building, it created a symphony of gag reflexes. To escape the atrocious smell, all the customers started leaving in a hurry. Poor Frankie, Hubert and a couple of other waitresses had to stop them all to make sure they all payed for their food. George quickly grabbed his wallet, took a random amount of money out of it and gave it to Hubert directly. He looked at him in consternation.

• George, I can’t take that! That’s so much!

• Put it into savings, we’re leaving NOW. You need some compensation for that literal shit anyways.

Hubert hesitated for a second, but then nodded and let him go. Celia quickly grabbed her box and shoved it in her purse before he pulled her by the hand towards the exit. Once they stepped outside, they realised they had to go past the dirty pests in order to get to their vehicle. That wasn’t happening.

• Honey, we gotta run - George stated.

• But where do we go?!

• I don’t know, but we have to get as far from them as possible.

So they ran up the street. No matter where they went, fluffies were everywhere. There were more herds, as well as couples and babies. In some cases female specimen had to be rolled by their partners, because they were so stuffed full of their offspring their legs couldn’t reach the ground. Singles were rare, because most of them would join small alliances who hugged, played, sung and went everywhere together. Even when they were slightly startled by something, even by a tiny bug they stumbled upon and got excited about, they would shit themselves. There was even a few fluffies humping each other while giggling like toddlers, what unsettled the onlookers. The whole area was now littered with feces, corpses and loose colorful fur. Of course, to make matters worse, there was the smell. Smell so bad it made eyes water. It didn’t bother the fluffies, though. They would only complain about it when they brought their noses closer to their own awful produce.

• Did anybody call animal control?! - some old lady yelled. - Please someone call animal control!

• I did! They should be here any minute - responded a guy in his thirties.

And so they came, as he promised. A big white van pulled up, couple of workers got out of it and got stunned upon the sight of this mess. Some fluffies got excited to see new people, so they ran up to them while leaving a brown trail behind them.

• Nyu fwen! Hab nummies fo fwuffy? - one of them asked, seemingly polite.

• Is this some kind of a joke? What are these freaks?! - the animal control officer pushed the creature away with his boot, causing the pathetic thing to weep.

• Better not risk a bite, they could be rabid. Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if this whole area was an ecoli cess pool by now.

• What do we do then? Sedate them?

• This is the first time I’m seeing such a thing, dude! What if we overdose and kill them? We’d be fired on the spot if too many died!

And so, they were clueless. The only hope for the neighborhood just died. There was no escape from the chaos…

… Or was there?

The man, who called animal control, suddenly had an idea. He saw a sewer grate nearby, so he ran up to it and lifted it up. It was heavy, so it wasn’t too graceful, but he still managed to toss it aside and reveal a hole. After a few deep breaths, he whistled loudly on his fingers, drawing the attention of most of the horse creatures.

• Hey! All of you! - he called out. - There’s food down there!

• Nice mistuh say nummies?

• Food? Whu am food? Am gud nummies?

• Yuh! Fwuffy heawd food am nummies! Yuh huh! Nummies in dawkie pwace!

• Tummy huwties!

• Wan nummies!

• Yes, little ones! Go get your nummies down there! - the man called to them again, which finally convinced the dumb little things to rush straight in there.

People observed how all the furballs who were able to walk or run started jumping in the sewers, where some of the screams would escalate while others got muffled in the disgusting waters. When all the fluffies disappeared in the hole, a whole crowd formed around it to check on them. The water down there was shallow enough for the fluffies to crawl out of there, but deep enough to save them from dying from the fall. However, a lot of them weren’t bright enough to realise that in order to breathe, they have to lift their faces above the water line. This way, most of the fluffies simply drowned out of sheer stupidity. Eventually, the suffocated corpses on the bottom served as pillows for the other fluffies, who were now trapped and unable to get out.

Everyone cheered to the man, who saved the street from this catastrophy, and he quickly made friends with some fellas who took him to a nearby bar to celebrate. The fluffies remaining on the surface were mostly pregnant mares and little babies, although there were some specimen smart enough to not fall for the man’s trap. They were the only ones to escape the scene and hide. The animal control officers approached one of the pregnant fluffies and she wiggled her legs helplessly.

• Nu taek soon-mummah! Soon-mummah’s fwen bwing fwuffy nummies fwom dawkie pwace su babbehs gwow big an stwong! - she squealed and shat herself out of fear.

The officer shook his head and carefully picked her up and took her to the van, where she ended up in a cage. Same thing happened to all the physically inept furballs the men could find. They figured those creatures are helpless enough to not cause them any harm, so they just went for it. After packing them all up, they drove off where they came from.

George and Celia took a look around the devastated area, then stared into each other’s eyes for a second.

• You know what? - Celia put hands on her hips.

• Yeah. This was a disaster.

• Let’s just celebrate at home, shall we?

• We better, before a fucking UFO obducts us or some other weird crap happens. I think I still have that bottle of Fujimi from our restaurant opening.

• I love you, George. And this is exactly why.

They walked to their Toyota, this time skipping the gentleman nonsense from before, and drove home. This wasn’t the day to propose yet, Celia realised. Not after this whole mess. All she wanted was to just get drunk with the man she loved and have some well deserved fun.

18 Likes

Completely understandable reaction from all humans involved at the first encounter with fluffies outside a laboratory setting since none of them had been clued in on the insanity that was about to be unleashed upon them. I’d freak out as well. :whaaa:

7 Likes

It’s “Gyo”, but Fluffies, and it’s somehow more terrifying.

3 Likes

I’d be curious about them and probably pet them… Until they shit themselves lol

Never watched it, but I think I have to now xd

GASHUNK GASHUNK GASHUNK GASHUNK GASHUNK GASHUNK GASHUNK GASHUNK GASHUNK GASHUNK GASHUNK GASHUNK

1 Like

It’s a Junji Ito manga. It’s so fucked up, but in an amazing way!

1 Like

It’s also an anime.

https://anilist.co/anime/10417/GYO-Tokyo-Fish-Attack/

2 Likes

I definitely heard this name before! Feels like I really need to get into this author :stuck_out_tongue:

Whoa, what a madman

Man this story makes me sad.

George and Celia are a wholesome couple.

1 Like

It may sound odd, but I kiiiind of based Celia on myself? Only made her more feminine, but that’s pretty much why there’s so much more focus on her rather than George. Kinda wish I fleshed him out a bit more, but I’m still glad I managed to create believable characters out of them that people feel for ^^ Thank you!

Write what you know. Research what you don’t.

The perspective works because she’s the one making the move, so all the emotion behind it is built up well. Which makes the shitrat incursion all the more inconvenient.

The vermin are scared of the dark up until someone says there’s food in it. Then they race to fling themselves into piss and shit. Poetic.

2 Likes

Though one with a bit too much fanservice, some feel.

1 Like

It, too, is the start of Apocalypse.

1 Like

I think I made their reactions a bit dramatic, but at the same time… They just witnessed them survive a gut spill and also some of them are so early in the prototype stage that their nervous system isn’t even functioning. I’d be pretty damn scared too xd

2 Likes

Truth.

That’s an idea I hadn’t considered. They’re so early along that they don’t know to be afraid of the dark yet.

1 Like