The Lost Story of ST-13 (By SqueakyFriend)

Here’s a maybe interesting thing from the old booru, as the entire story was told in the comments and thus was never recovered!

Namely…
ST-13 doodle2

Space Traveler 13, or ST-13, was an idea I had for a choose-your-own-adventure story, where the events are chosen by the commenters. It fell through quickly due to some mistakes on my end, but here’s what happened:

ST-13 001
The idea was that 13 was abruptly plucked off the streets and dumped in this strange sci-fi place, left to explore and figure out what’s going on, and hopefully escape.

In reality, this was a set for a sci-fi themed drama/horror show starring fluffies. Presumably due to cheapness, the crew decided to just grab any random feral fluffy they saw and film it to get realistic emotions and reactions, and 13 is just the unlucky 13th protagonist (the previous ones all died or were lost).

ST-13 002
ST-13 003
Also he has flashlight eyes, because someone suggested turning his eyes on and I liked the idea.

Anyway…

In exploring, 13 soon found a storage area, and found that a horrible alien monster was loose on the space station!
ST-13 006
ST-13 008

(It’s actually just a cat in cardboard armor, if you’re wondering. It’s very clunky to move around in, so a fluffy can have a fair chance at getting away.)
cat alien

Anyway, 13 ended up escaping the ferocious alien beast/house cat in a sequence that I’m hiding because it is just way too dark and you can barely see anything:

Press here to see the sequence

ST-13 007

ST-13 009

ST-13 010

ST-13 011

After this, someone finally suggested using his headset to ask for help, and …

ST-13 013

… He came into contact with 8, one of the previous fluffy protagonists, who had managed to somehow wiggle his way into places inaccessible to the humans and was thus lost to them.

I believe 13 and 8 were to talk for a bit, mentioning that fluffy #12 was also out there somewhere, and that 13 should try to meet up with her. As far as I recall, she was meant to be a young pegasus with a blue headset, but she was never drawn.
ST-13 014

Unfortunately, this is where the story ended, due to some poor timing choices on my end getting it buried before any progress could be made.

It still seems like a bit of a fun concept, but I don’t know if I’m the right person to do it. This site does seem more well-suited to choose-your-own-adventure stories, though, so at least it wouldn’t be buried again.

(Edit: I found a concept doodle for 12 in a doodle compilation! So this is what she would have looked like:)

That said, I did doodle 13 a couple more times just because I liked his li’l headset, so non-story-related doodles below:

These two were in response to some of the more outlandish suggestions the CYOA got. Some people just had a lot of thoughts about space tentacles or tacos.
ST-13 005

ST-13 012

This one was the first ever image of 13, drawn before I even thought of the CYOA! He was just a random space station fluffy at the time.
ground control to fluffy

And these two are just common doodles.
ST-13 doodle1

ST-13 doodle3

35 Likes

We need a go fund me for you so your awesome game ideas can be real

7 Likes

This is so important, Squeaky. I had been trying to understand that last image for ages, and now I have the context! Thanks for uploading this, Squeaky ;_; I really love your ideas, and wish more people did stuff like this with fluffies.

4 Likes

This is amazing Squeak :heart:
Super neat concept
and the flashlight eyes are beyond adorable

2 Likes

The ears are a really nice touch…

1 Like

I was just reminiscing this a few days ago. A fluffy horror show was a great idea, and the monster being a cat in a clumsy suit is just brilliant! :smiley:

By the way, I got some experience in Adventure Game Studio, so if you want to make the graphics I could actually handle the technical side of making a fluffy adventure game.

1 Like

Tell me you played Space Station 13 without saying you played Space Station 13:

Fluffy is a condom.

Wait, there’s an Adventure Game Studio?! That… Actually sounds really neat! It’d be a better fit for this concept than a visual novel, too.

It always sounds fun to make something with others, so I’d be up for that! I have a lot on my plate already though, so we might need others to help out as well - I doubt I could do all the backgrounds and such on my own, for example.

2 Likes

Yep! Even I managed to play around with it in the early 2000’s! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Like with any game, the most important thing is a realistic scale. For example, a three or four frame walking animations in four cardinal directions, talking sprite with mouth open, and a one frame “use” sprite with hoof extended can fulfill about 90% of main character’s requirements for an adventure game.

For backgrounds and items in general, simple and unshaded is the way to avoid biting off more than you can chew. Graphics are definitely going to be the biggest time sink for an adventure game, so it’s better to aim low and finish than aim high and run out of energy halfway through! :blush:

@Foxhoarder because I think I forgot to actually hit the right “reply” button and don’t know how to fix it:
Very true on all points! Besides, placeholder art is a thing - we could just make a bunch of squares in MS Paint to work as temporary backgrounds while we figure out exactly what we need for everything.

I don’t know much about what sizes are needed for this-and-that and what the sheets would look like, so if you wanna keep going and make this a real thing, we should maybe take it to a private chat or something (so we don’t clog up this page too much).