The Pack,(42) Week 16 Log (Shadowfox)

I’m up to 5 dnd campaigns now. 2 of which I’m dming. I am officially insane according to my husband. I agree with him, but.

So apparently the kerfluffle of last month wasn’t entirely unfruitful. Maybe. We’ll see when those manes come in properly and the foals are old enough I can judge everything. Katy’s just making optimistic bets on what tiny tail tufts are visible if you squint. Which means I’m think she’s getting way ahead of ourselves on that. Even if everything is exactly the way certain people think it is, it’s still not enough for the loss we’re probably taking on Aurora. We already have prospective waiting lists for the next Demonfluff litters. The deposits alone for those first true born foals are worth nearly as much as the realistic estimate of what we might get for any of these fluffies. Yes, even if there is a perfect Shining Armor, Cadence and a Flurryheart.
Largely because Dave is charging ridiculous deposits for spots on those waiting lists considering the mares who would carry them are still too young for breeding, but still. Something something getting in on the ground floor of a new breed. We can probably find homes for even any survivors of the cross breed litters, and anyone expecting an intact demonfluff is going to be shelling out a considerable surcharge. I’m still voting not handing any out intact at all, but apparently there are monetary values high enough to overrule me.

As a general rule, fluffies price out around the same way rabbits used to, with stupendous or unique examples running higher. Most basic sale stock is worth around twenty to thirty bucks, up to about fifty for well socialized and prettier examples. Designers and alicorns run around a hundred to two hundred higher than they’d be worth. He’s planning on pricing and marketing our particular little designers up closer to what a decent purebred dog could run for, at least until whatever novelty about them wears off. I’ve repeatedly pointed out how much can go wrong between then and now- But not my neck on the line to the investors or the potential customers, so he can go off, I guess.

Things happening this week I actually care about- The itty bitties are nearly five weeks old now, and are just as much trouble as the Pack was at that age. It isn’t herding cats, its herding baby kittens through a room of jangle balls and crinklepuffs (and thank you ever so, Jake, for bringing in a pack of those). Luckily I have back up with some of the Pack adults, or the nine of them would be driving me insane. By some I mean Rook and Foxfire.

Glory is still hovering over his little “baby mommas”- and yes, it’s definitely plural now. He’s also become increasingly touchy about their safety. Got into a full on scrape with Aurora about her calling them “nummy fwuffies” to their faces. He even tried wingswatting Rook just for being near them. They did eventually make up after the misunderstanding was cleared up and I cleaned out the resulting bite wound to Glory’s shoulder. Foxfire and Marnie haven’t seemed to hit his “threat radar”, so Harmony and Melody at least have some time with other fluffies. He’s also still attempting to make them better nests and trying to wheedle better food for them out of me.
I’ve compromised and made up a batch of “cookies” for him to bring them. Turkey and pumpkin baby food based, with extra protein powder and vitamins in the mix. I’m working on a second recipe to use homemade fluffy puree instead, since I have a very nice meat grinder to start that out, but I haven’t gotten the texture levels to balance out the same way yet. That said, I have an entire pile of enthusiastic taste testers to make sure nothing goes to waste, between the Pack and the dogs.

I did move Aurora into the isolation room, after that little fight with Glory. Had been debating it anyways, and getting her away from the small demonfluffs trying to chew on her wings is probably the best decision. She has 24- hour Fluff-Tv, I got her a stuffy toy so she has something to hug, I check on her personally a couple times a day despite the monitors in the room. Should be fine for the next little bit until the foals come.

The new set up in the kennel room seems to be a hit. Foxfire has flipped herself all the way around the cat wheel more than once when she gets going, but it hasn’t deterred her from going right back on. The boys got significantly more careful once they faceplanted overrunning themselves on the wheel, but they’re still playing with it too. Getting a carpet mill scaled to a large dog was really the best choice, though. It’s wide enough for Rook and Glory to run next to each other with room to spare as long as they keep their wings tucked, which means their new game is racing each other on it until one of them can’t keep up and falls off the back of the mill. (yes, I padded that bit of floor. I patch up enough injuries around here, and I want them in full fit by the time I get another feeding footage properly going.) They’re more or less tied for “wins” in that this week.

The spring pole with the tug toy on the end is also popular, but not as much as this thing Ash brought over for the dogs the other day. It looks like a lunge whip with a braided strip of fluffy fur tied to the end, and he calls it a “Flirt pole”. Jane and Jessie lost their minds the moment he pulled it out of the van. Works like a giant cat wand, more or less. Once they had chased that strip of fur until they were happy to go collapse into the shade, he let the demonfluffs have turns. They managed to finish the job the dogs had done to the bit of fur, but Asher said he has to replace the lure pretty much every week as is. There’s a box of spares in the van. Even the itties got in on the game, if a very slowed down and not yanked up as high version. I have pictures of most of them hanging off the lure in mid air before they were convinced to let go so the game could continue.

None of the little ones are big enough to get the carpet mill going by themself, but Kal said he’d make me a smaller one when he had a chance. In the meantime, they can use the cat wheel pretty well if someone gives it a quarter turn to start once they’re on. Lots of wipeouts and spills, but they seem to have a great deal of fun between that and the cat tower/ climbing wall. And tired itty bitties are itty bitties not trying to shred my socks and shoelaces.

Asher, Katy and I ended up naming most of them a few weeks ago, mostly over the course of a cheesy greek mythology movie marathon, and I think I’ll actually keep most of these names. Branwyn, Butterscotch and Valentino were more or less stuck with names already, but that still left a lot of tiny trouble makers. Besides “Princess Flutterbat”- I still can’t believe Bill actually named her that, but his fluffy, I guess. Katy had a pile of videos of her gnawing at that black alicorn of theirs’ tail as he tried hiding behind the couch and otherwise tormenting him.

I think I’ve mentioned Branwyn once or twice-purple eyed little ball of white fluff, with dark red tips to her wings, mane and horn and a red fringed kirin tail. Usually to be found with her teeth sunk into Rook’s ankles or trying to use the space between his wings as a bed. I even had to pry her out of the sling his one wing was in a few times last week. When she isn’t using him as a chew toy, she’s trying to get to wherever I am so I can be her own personal jungle gym. She isn’t the only one pulling that, but she is the only one who’s ended up forgotten in my hoodie pocket. (not joking. I was in the middle of paperwork, she came in with Rook, climbed up to play in my lap, crawling into the pocket, fell asleep, and I forgot she was in the pocket until I sat down again at lunch. When she wriggled back out and tried to steal the pepperoni off my pizza.)

The very, very pink itty bitty alicorn with red mane and tail is Valentino. No bets on guessing why he got named that. We are, however, taking a betting pool on how long it will take for someone to mistake him for a very pretty filly and throw him into an existential crisis. He and Butterscotch are a bit of a pair- and also the ones most like Aurora was when she was younger. Okay, maybe not quite that bad, but bad enough they’ve tried taking toys away from the others and getting puffy over things. And were promptly thumped by whatever Pack adult was within reach. Confidence is great, the existing hierarchy helping me keep order is better. Still gonna keep an eye on this before they get bigger.

The aforementioned Butterscotch is the very chubby little gold-blond and dusty pink unicorn with a similar kirin tail to his sister Branwyn. Not quite as much a ball as he was when Sunshine was still nursing them, but he’s still the first in line for food. He starts things just as often as Valentino does, but dissolves into tears the moment one of the bigger demonfluffs- or Marnie- taps his nose to chide him. Unless he’s playing back up to Val, in which case it takes two nose boops to put him in his place. I will say, Butterscotch is also the only one who needs to be bribed into running on the wheels or running amuck over the yard. Still really little, and I don’t really have any good tips because I wasn’t coaxing the Pack into this much at that age. I’ll give him a little longer before a full exercise regimen is enforced- I’m kind of hoping peer pressure from the rest of the itty bitties working chaos over the play equipment will be an incentive to more activity.

Last of Sunshine’s litter still here is the other sun blond filly, the pegasus with the sky blue mane. Kalypso. Hasn’t lost all of the pudge she picked up when she was one of the surrogates favorite foals, but she’s at least active. Think she might be taking lessons from Foxfire, as well, because I’ve turned around to find her on top of something and nearly at my eye level three times this week. And she’s one of the ones that have figured out that if they duck under a grown fluffy’s belly on the way out of a room the register on the flap doesn’t block them. Luckily all of the Pack are pretty good about catching them and putting them back wherever they were supposed to be. But when they miss seeing her it’s a little disturbing when there is suddenly a loudly humming filly right behind my head. Because she got the idea to hum a very off tune theme song every time she’s sneaking. (Which reminds me, who decided to leave un-vetted Disney movies going in the playroom over the weekend? I would like warning before the resident chatterboxes learn new musical numbers to mangle endlessly. Also Foxfire and a few of the itty bitties have begun demanding answers on what happened to Bambi’s mom now. And Dumbo’s mom. And…. yeah. Aurora is even more thrilled about the idea of mother hood now, thank you very much /s.)

Despite Genny’s frequent attempts to name him after one form of pastel sweet or another, (I had to remind her three times there’s already a Cotton candy, a Taffy, and a Bubblegum in the building,) the black alicorn colt with the very curly blue and pink mane and tail has ended up named Orpheus. I think we were on Hercules, he was trying to sing along to the songs, and we were halfway through a bottle of schnapps. He’s a cuddler, he still sings along to anything he hears (Kal had Weird Al going the other day when he was fixing the smoke alarms, so I’ve heard “another one rides the bus” five times today. At least the colt has good taste) and he is at least generally where he was supposed to be. For this reason, he is one of my top three favorite foals right now. Even if he keeps trying to eat Glory’s wings.

We also have all three Furies in a trio of fillies that seem to do ninety percent of everything together right now. The midnight blue bat winged runt with the jet black mane is Alekto- and she is the most likely to wreak havoc on any of the other itty bitties who dare infringe on what is hers. Or her sisters. Or… I think she just likes wreaking havoc in general. As long as she doesn’t end up quite as small as Foxfire, I can see her doing just fine on the hunts if she keeps that attitude. Megaera is the pale blue and silver kirin tailed alicorn, who is hereby named most likely to be egging the tiny one on. And then jumping in herself. She once managed to cause enough of a tussle around the others she made off with most of Butterscotch’s dragged off food. And if they start losing a fight, Lyssa will step in as well. She’s the black kirin tailed unicorn with the red mane, and the quietest of the itty bitties when the rest of the trio aren’t involved. And if there is a human lap to be had she is in it.

The kirin tailed alicorn colt with the exact reverse of her coloring, red fluff and black maned, is Ares. And he’s almost as bad as Branwyn with his need to be doing whatever the adult demonfluffs are doing at any given moment. The boys are training? He’s running himself ragged on whatever is free in that room. Glory is stacking blocks? He’s dragging more over and piling them just within reach. All the adult demonfluffs are avoiding the itty bitties so they can have five minutes of peace and quiet? He’s shoving a ball over at Jessie and Jane instead. I have video somewhere of Jane laying down, head between her paws and a tug toy just between her teeth as he pulls with all his might at the other end. Swear that border collie gave me a look that said “well, he’s trying?”

I will admit, the fact I still have feeder brood stock in the cages around the training area is not ideal. Keep having to canvas tarp over the cage doors so the mummahs will shut up and I don’t have to answer as many questions from the itty bitties. Asher said he had an idea to help out when he gets his business in order, but he isn’t giving me much in the way of details. And I mean, I know we’ve only been dating six weeks, but still. I don’t really like being out of the loop on things that might involve the kiddos.

First Chapter- The Pack- because what we need is more fluffies bred to eat other fluffies. (1) by :Shadowfox
Previous Chapter- The Pack - (41) week 15 log. (Shadowfox)
Next Chapter
The Pack (43) Week 16 footage. (Shadowfox)

11 Likes

Oh my god, the itty-bitties are so chaotic. They are completely adorable, as long as you don’t have to deal with them.

5 Likes

much like a box of kittens, yes

5 Likes

No one:
Foxfire:
tenor(2)

5 Likes

YES.

meanwhile Rook and Glory.

and the itty bitties.

5 Likes

Huzzah the itty-bitties are no longer a completely formless mass! Also I’ve been playing the Hades video game a lot so having the Furies and Orpheus there immediately brings the ones in that game to mind rather than the Hercules cartoon, though that’s probably just as well since its been ages since I’ve watched a Disney animated movie. Shadow’s fortunate the Lion King wasn’t in that rotation, there’s no coming back from what happened to Mustafa, unlike Dumbo and Bambi’s moms! Orpheus immediately becomes my favorite by being able to sing Weird Al, that’s just how I roll.

I forget but besides the sure to be pure evil Flutterbat, did any itty bitties with hands survive foalhood? I didn’t think so but just to be sure we’re on the right count of ‘Pack members that can potentially learn to manipulate things via handling them’ count.

Shadow better be hovering over Aurora the second she starts giving birth because I’d put good odds on her smashing at the very least any unfortunate foal that happens to look anything like a Shining Armor, potentially smashing all of them just due to stress if nothing else. In my opinion it would all be understandable but I doubt Shadow’ll see things that way.

( also Daffy D what are you thinking selling intact demonfluffs this early in your business run? You know how fast fluffies can breed, your dumb ass will be out of business inside of a year! )

5 Likes

all 4 of the implanted foals with the clawed phenotype were still born ( I did go back and check chapters, in case I noted it down wrong in my reference notes), Flutterbat was one of the two batwinged foals to survive as runts given the issues with those mutations Bill keeps having. Foxfire remains the only one able to pull off parrot level antics one of with both to survive both gestation and the first neonatal week.

I can neither confirm nor deny that the fact my husband spent a fair amount of time playing Hades about 6 feet behind my desk chair while I was plotting out certain earlier chapters may have influenced name choices.

As for the rest?

5 Likes

Unrelated but anyone want to launch another crusade to take back the holy land

1 Like

I miss this story. The beautiful chaos of taking care of what is essentially a mix of a pack of kittens with a pack of overactive toddlers is a thing to behold.

2 Likes

Me too bud, but I’m more jealous shadow has 5 dnd games going on.

1 Like

More if we’re counting the streamed charity oneshots. I have 2 tonight, and the stream campaign tomorrow afternoon.

I’m really sorry! motivation and time are slow these days!
My typing time and motivation mostly goes to notes for the most involved campaigns and my drawing time is characters.

2 Likes

Shadow, you live how I dream. That much dnd is would be heaven (for me)

1 Like

Except for the tireds and keeping up with soo many characters, yes. It’s great. @Somethingcheeky plays in a few of them now too, and they are the greatest.
by the way. Twitch. Fire and flames cometh. Charity streams and oneshots this week. including one at 2pm mountain time today.
Also I woke up early with enough energy to finish chapter 43.

1 Like

Btw, I got a mini series other than half fluffy, half demon. Won’t last long.

1 Like

think I saw it, the fluffy meet the dragon one?

1 Like

Yep.

1 Like

Cool