The "Smarty Land Now" Theory (by Booperino)

My take on the classic trope of “smarty herd invade yard what do” scenario!

72 Likes

This was really good! Glad to see you finish writing it

7 Likes

Ah, the old snip-n-release. Efficient. Humane.

9 Likes

and they keep their speschuw wumps! (even if they cant have babys anymore)

9 Likes

Fixer, remember to mark your TNR fluffies!

3 Likes

yeah i could see he would add tracking devices/id tag chips to them to simplify bureaucracy once they arrive in the shelter

3 Likes

Damn dis smart.

4 Likes

Maybe a simple ear tat or something too, something the fluffies probably wouldn’t notice but humans could check for visually? It’d suck for them to get double-neutered because the shelter didn’t realize they were already fixed in less invasive ways.

3 Likes

Also, this panel is just sending me!

12 Likes

ah yeah, maybe could be an identification marker in the id tag chip that states they have already been neutered. like the moment ferals enter they are scanned for chips and such

4 Likes

The “this is smarty land now” “Oh Cawwy on” pannel gets me every time

9 Likes

That works, already SOP for most real animal shelters.

4 Likes

thanks i wanted to tackle a solution that wasnt the extreme “kill them all” or “adopt them all” lol

8 Likes

Welp this is a good middle ground. Fix them but make sure they get adopted.

6 Likes

That is some awesome work and planning there. When they are under it would probably be a good time to microchip them, to avoid the trouble of having to do it later and for tracking it they get picked up later.

Honestly, even without leading the ferals to the shelter (run by a wonderful mother/daughter combo, of course :smiling_imp:) this would still be great. I’ve been a part of a TNR (Trap-Neuter-Return) program for feral cats and it is far better than killing off a colony. Killing off just leaves an opening for new, intact cats to move in to continue the issue. TNR cats keep others from pushing into the area. I’m assuming this principle would be similar for fluffies.

So best case, the ferals go to the shelter where they are taken care of, trained/get therapy, and get new homes.

Worst case, they don’t go and stay feral. They don’t keep increasing the feral population and keep other fluffies out of their area. They also have a better relationship to humans which makes any new members they do bring in easier to get ahold of to TNR as well.

6 Likes

Good idea of a more calm and simple feral herd, sometimes bad smarties can be a headache.

At least this one is barerable.

4 Likes

Have a sensor on the fluffy door to unlock only for those that have been chipped and are considered missing domestics or neutered/spaded ferals. Or have the holding area change based on the chip readings.

3 Likes

…Hey Fixer, how handy are you with setting up and installing sensors and electronics that AREN’T attached directly to fluffies. :eyes:

2 Likes

This is an immense amount of work to sterilize a few ferals. Just dart 'em, chip and snip 'em, then release them (or give them to a shelter if there is room). Quick, relatively painless, much easier than dealing with feral dogs.

1 Like

That’s Fixer for you. Taking on more work that anybody would bother just because he wants to.

4 Likes