The Way Home // Chapter 12: Search and Rescue (by: Beast)

<< First Chapter

<< Previous Chapter

Simon had not been having the best time recently, he was having trouble forgetting his most recent job involving fluffies. The herd’s faces contorted in terror was etched into his memory, they were scared and confused. Simon had woken up multiple times in the night due to the images of their faces taunting him in his sleep. He thought he would talk with John about it so he could have someone he could confide in, but that idea vanished when the truth about Melissa was revealed. John had his own problems at the moment and Simon didn’t want to be throwing his grievances around when John had it so much worse.

So after much deliberation Simon decided that he would go see a therapist, a miss Young. The session actually did help Simon feel better but the times available caused an issue. When he told miss Young that he wouldn’t be able to keep having regular sessions she proposed an alternative. Fluffies, in miss Young’s words they were ‘the perfect therapy animal’, while not a perfect solution some patients had been documented improving after adopting a fluffy.

“NO! I am not adopting a fluffy!”

“Simon, please calm down… it is simply an alternative.”

“I-I’m sorry… that was rude of me.”

“It’s quite alright, just remember that the option is always open. Here, I’ll give you directions to a reputable shelter just incase you change your mind.”

As Simon left he looked at the scrap of paper that ms Young had scribbled on. The name ‘Silly Smiles – Fluffy Daycare and Shelter’ stared back at him. A single thought ran through Simon’s head as he got into his car, am I really gonna go through with this?

The tan mare quickly caught up to Spike who didn’t look happy to see her at all, “Gu awa’! Dummeh Spike wan be awone!”

Instead of returning to the nest the tan mare simply waddled up to Spike and hugged him, “Huggies hewp heawt-huwties.”

Spike squirmed helplessly in the full grown fluffy’s embrace, “NU! Nu gib dummeh Spike huggies! Spike am bad fwuffy! Spike nu desewbe huggies an’ wuv!”

The squirming gradually decreased until Spike sat still in the embrace and began to cry, “Huuuuuuhuuuuuuuhuuuuuuu! Spike am wowstest smawty evah! Gib hewd heawt-heawties! Spike am jus’ dummeh-meanie-babbeh! Huuuuuuhuuuuuuhuuuuuu!”

As Spike cried, the tan mare cradled him in her front hooves and gently sung him a mummah song (though since it was sung by a fluffy it was off key). The enchanting melody (to a fluffy) enraptured Spike and helped calm him down. When he had finished sniffling the mare gently reassured Spike, “Babbeh du bad ting, su babbeh am bad babbeh… bu’ babbeh nu bad babbeh foweva, if babbeh onwy du gud tings naow den babbeh am gud babbeh.”

The mare’s words gave Spike something to think about: he was currently a bad baby, but it didn’t have to stay that way. If he made sure to do good things instead of bad things from now on he wouldn’t be a bad baby anymore, in fact it would make him a good baby. It was obvious what Spike’s first good deed would be: finding his sister. After returning the tan mare’s hug and thanking her Spike continued on his way trailing the muddy hoof-prints left by Tulip on the sidewalk. The mare continued to tag along to make sure the fragile babies were protected.

The fluffy and foal duo made their way down the sidewalk while attempting to ask every passerby if they had seen the missing filly. Most people simply ignored the fluffies, a few teenagers spit at the passing fluffies, and a few people attempted to help but were unable to due to only being provided with the information that Tulip was: a ‘babbeh’, had ‘wingies’, was ‘owange’, and was a ‘gud nummie-findah’. The amount of fluffies in the city made identifing one without a distinctive feature like a scar or pattern almost impossible.

Spike and the mare were disheartened to hear that no one had seen Tulip but continued trekking along in hopes that they would find her if they just walked far enough. The mare offered to carry Spike on her back but Spike refused, he had to prove himself capable of taking up the title of smarty and the first step was suffering the many ouchies of walking continuously on concrete. After following the sidewalk for many minutes the duo arrived at an empty lot, only to be greeted by a surprised older man in a blanket.

“Well I’ll be, you things are just popping out of the woodwork today. I mean I know there’s a whole bunch of you in the city but I didn’t expect all of you to be so interested in this lot.”

“Wha nice mistah mean?”

“Well I was just talking with one of you little guys, and right after they left you showed up. It’s like this lot is a revolving door for fluffies.”

“Oddah fwuffy?”

“Yup, was a baby like yourself except a pegasus not a unicorn.”

“Wha am peg-a-sus an’ uni-cown?”

“I forgot you guys have toddler names for them. A pegasus is a fluffy with wings, and a unicorn is a fluffy with a horn like you.”

Spike did a little gasp as a thought went through his mind, “Am oddah fwuffy owange!?”

The man was surprised by the question but decided to play along, “Yeah they were, you know them? Said their name was… Tulip if I remember correctly.”

This time Spike’s little gasp turned into a big gasp, “Dat am Spike sissie! Nee’ find sissie! Pwease hewp nice mistah!”

“Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Calm down, I’ll tell you what I told her… Didn’t expect to get thrown into the middle of a fluffy family drama when I woke up from my nap today…”

So he told them about the shelter as well and how to get there, and after a short hug as thanks from both fluffies they were off. Spike waddled as fast as his little legs would carry him, he was so close now. That’s when he saw his sister standing in a field of grass, it was truly a majestic sight (for a fluffy). He started running towards her and then he saw her running towards him, but something was wrong there was no joy on her face at seeing him just fear. That’s when he noticed the looming shadow behind her, it was a threateningly large dog quickly catching up to her.

“EEEEEEEEE! Bawkie munstah! Pwease nu num Tuwip! Am onwy wittwe babbeh!”

This was a defining moment for Spike, would he run away and leave Tulip to her fate, or play the hero and defend her. It only took him a second to decide as he ran between Tulip and the dog and stood his ground. There was only one technique that could stop this rageing behemoth and this would be the first time Spike ever used it. Spike turned around, lifted his tail, and screamed at the top of his little lungs, “HAB SOWWY-POOPIES BAWKIE-MUNSTAH!”

He pushed his bowels with all his might and… the only thing that escaped was a squeaky fart. Spike felt a cold sweat as he remembered that he hadn’t eaten anything yet today. This was it, he was too slow to outrun the monster and now he no longer had the legendary ‘sorry-poopies’ technique to scare it off. Spike could only make ‘scardy-peepees’ as the monster approached.

“Spike nu wan gu foweva-sweepies! Huuuhuuu!”

Finally the beast lunged,

“SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE”

Next Chapter >>

15 Likes

I’m guessing Spike is going to be brutally licked by an overexcited dog wanting to play.

5 Likes

OOoooooOoooooh baaabies!

4 Likes

Oh, have I mentioned how much I’ve been loving this series?

3 Likes

Good story.

My only request would be to use a bit brighter color of purple for the one foal’s speech and avoid darker colors in general. It’s hard to read dark purple on the standard black background.

2 Likes