What drawing tablet would you recommend

I want to start drawing digitally, however I am horrible with a mouse. So I would like to know what drawing tablet you would recommend to someone who’s only drawn with pencil and paper.

4 Likes

huion tablets, they last pretty long and are typically somewhat inenespensive,
itll take getting used to but i use it and draw on paper as well.

3 Likes

again i suggest pen tablets but i hear good things about the ones with displays

3 Likes

Thank you, it really helps just to have a jumping off point

2 Likes

i do not reccomened wacom tablets because they break pretty easy

huion can also work with android phones!

if ya need any help picking on out hmu :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Huion

A Chinese manufacturer? I’ll pass.

I’m okay with my old Wacom tablet. I don’t use it much (got it for around 2 years now), but never had any issues. But I’d love to hear about other brands as well.

2 Likes

How much are you looking to spend , do you want to be able to move around or just draw at your desk

1 Like

Wacom are any thing but fragile

1 Like

mine broke pretty easily, my huion is like a fuckin horse
idk
i have strong feelings against wacom so i could be biased

3 Likes

I draw on my Surface Pro with the Microsoft Pen. It’s spendy, but a rock solid laptop and great quality tablet interface.

1 Like

Had the opposite experience have a Wacom tablet that is pushing 20 years old and is still rock solid

1 Like

Depends on how much you want to spend, huion are kinda expensive (at least for my position) they do good and you have the screen on the table to work directly on it.

However for begginers a more simple table should do it, mainly to get used to handle the pen, pressure points and how it works with your main program you use to draw, you need to conect it to a pc, not sure if there’s also a phone adaptator now.

Personally I have a Wacom intuos, it’s pretty simple and not that expensive, has nice pressure detection and it’s pretty resistant, the wire might be the one who gives trouble but it’s a Micro USB entry so you can replace it with almost whatever.

2 Likes

I reccomend:

Finger.

Just draw on your phone. Its easy!

With a phone you can:

Draw where ever and when ever you want!

And thats just pretty much it.

But if you want to draw good, dont pick a phone.

5 Likes

I got a Samsung S6 Lite at Costco, on sale, for $300 usd. Included the SPen (a Wacom stylus). Normally $380. I use it for pretty much everything but my earliest stuff here.

I was looking at the entry level iPad w/32g storage plus Apple Pen ($339+$99), but honestly I think the next step up (128g, $399) is the better value. Again, Costco.

I’ve got one friend who is a professional illustrator, another who is an artist and art teacher, plus we deal with younger artists at the shop. Going with a good tablet with pen support is a good choice. Mind you, the pro artist also has a freaking Cintique as well (and a huge one), but that’s different.

I’ve used lower end Wacoms before and like them, but have no experience with their competition.

2 Likes

Edit: what program do you use or hope to use for art?

A computer based one will be very powerful but often have a steeper learning curve. It seems to me the tablet ones are much easier to pick up, but I don’t know what their limits are.

My pro artist friend pays the bills with his Mac and Cintique. He used to work Mac Pros to death. You’re not him. You don’t need his setup there.

Set a budget for yourself. If it’s not a tax write off then be honest with yourself about the real use of it. Don’t overspend because people tell you it’s the best when you only need pretty good.

1 Like

I recommend one that you can draw on…

2 Likes

I just use my phone and ibisPaint X

2 Likes

While I remember: the teacher used ipad as does her students. She loves Procreate, ipad only. I use infinite painter which is on both but aren’t equal. I think the Android version is behind in features and is slower to update.

I like it better than Ibis but they’re both good for what I do.

1 Like

The benefit of apple’s closed eco system faster updates great stability

1 Like

The only respectable way to draw fluffy art is Paint with a 5$ mouse.

DO NOT EVEN CALL YOURSELF AN ARTIST IF YOU DON’T DO THIS

3 Likes