Would you treat a fluffy like a kid or like a pet? (No abuse answers)

no the difference is a fluffy was never meant to live out side of a human house

2 Likes

@OtherCoraline Nah man. This is exactly why I’m interested in fluffies.

A lot about fluffies is that they’ve bene genetically engineered to be a slave race. And I think there’s something interesting in that to explore.

5 Likes

When has a fluffy ever chosen to be neutered? Every fluffy nuetering has occurred DESPITE the wishes of the fluffy

4 Likes

Ohhh, I thought you mean flat out smacking them. Ok, I’m sorry there. Misinterpreted what you were saying.

4 Likes

I’m someone who, prior to having kids, collected nearly every type of domesticated pet, some types several times, and would happily spend a fair amount of cash and time to care for them, just because I enjoyed it. I liked the feeling of giving an “inferior” life form the best care I could, even when they didn’t do anything to earn or really deserve it, except for existing. Guess that’s one of them ol God complexes. Shortly after my first child arrived, I gave away the last few pets I had and never looked back. Dunno what this says about me, but I immediately saw them as hopeless parasites and never wanted another animal in my life again. Not that I would ever advocate abuse, and I would help an animal if I ever saw one suffering (even if it’s just putting it out of its misery).
My children grow and learn and mature and it’s simply amazing/humbling to behold. The pressure of influencing the direction of that is more than I can fathom at times. They are constantly changing and (hopefully) improving. I see animals as nothing but costly maintenance. No reward outside of a lick on the hand and a tail wag. Wow. I’ve literally forgotten why I used to enjoy that so much. My wife and kids acquired a dog a year ago and that’s fine for them. They love her and think she’s great. I look at her as a money vacuum and a mess maker. I’m not mean to her, because she’s an innocent animal, but I feel nothing towards her other than occasional annoyance. She’s an adult dog and his is as good as she’s ever going to be.
Fucking fluffies, man… my headcannon says they don’t get a whole lot better than they are as adults. I could see them learning some simple things, like what a certain word or phrase means and what they’re supposed to do when they hear you say it, maybe a simple trick or two. But to me, when you equate their intelligence to something similar to a growing child, they become non-entertaining. Because entertainment is all they are to me. They’re not real, therefore they are entertainment.
Wow, I didn’t think I was going to type this much, but anyway, PET. That’s all they’d be to me. A pet with enough intelligence that I can fuck with for my own entertainment. Otherwise, they’re just fucking parasites.

6 Likes

they are not a slave race any more than your car is a slave

3 Likes

SillyFilly got a temp ban for comparing fluffies to a real life tragedy (the holocaust). I don’t think comparing fluffies to slaves is in good taste at all, no matter how “into” fluffies your are or sympathetic to their fictional plight.

6 Likes

Yeah gotta agree here. Fluffies legitimately are only marginally smarter than parrots and crows, and we don’t go calling them a slave race when they can speak.

3 Likes

I’ve been looking at it from the perspective of sexually educating a fluffy to let it understand the negative benefits of wanting children. There’s a reason why people in poor communities undergo voluntary neutering, especially its for economic purposes. RQ explored the concept, albeit to a drastic extent (over-emphasized on how bad it could get for a fluffy)

I get what you mean, don’t get me wrong. I remember Swindle wrote a story about an African-american adopting a fluffy because he knew the fluffy was undergoing the same discrimination that the African-Americans had in the past.

It seems disrespectful, but I find that fluffies are a good way to explore discrimination, albeit from a different lens.

I just think that fluffies are interesting to explore the concepts of slavery, but from a nonhuman, yet sapient perspective. I suppose it would be more PC to use the term “slave species” but it would be the same thing. We have had fiction revolved around looking at slave species created by humans who revolt against their human masters. Its why I cite Blade Runner so much.

2 Likes

Here’s the thing, no. Don’t do that, just don’t do that.

5 Likes

Boom. Another mic drop. Humans don’t understand what real love is until they have their own kids. Then reality hits, and pets are suddenly seen for what they’ve always been: pets. No comparison.

Edit: saying this as a childless single who ADORES my perfect little bombay cat

5 Likes

I’d agree if it wasn’t fluffies, fiction is great for criticizing the real world. But fluffies are just a step too far.

5 Likes

I view them as I suppose advanced aliens would view us myself, slave race is not a bad comparison.

3 Likes

That is deep

2 Likes

I guess we just have to disagree. I don’t see it as a step too far as I find fluffies very interesting from a realistic perspective. Its also part of the reason why I can never stand their abuse - too much of it hits home for me

5 Likes

I find fluffies good for a different kind of critique, race is the only part I feel they can’t be utilized.

3 Likes

Right on, brutha. And I REALLY don’t want to sound like one of those condescending, self-righteous dickheads that tell childless folks that they just “will never understand” until they have kids! But, I don’t know how else to describe it and I’m just talking from my own perspective. :grimacing:

5 Likes

Or at least utilized easily, you’d have to be a damn good writer to pull off that allegory.

4 Likes

Thats fair. I do agree that the plight of fluffies shouldn’t be compared to the plight of real people in the past. Many of the early writers used it to decry animal abuse, which is more apt.

Agreed. I’m not sure Swindle pulled it off in his story. It takes a lot of balls to just want to do it, and it takes a special kind of talent to pull it off effectively or even subtly.

4 Likes

For me it depends on the fluffy. Some are more animal-like like Emma (doesnt like diapers, cribs, being dressed or treated like a baby. Likes vegetables and to play with more pet themed toys/chews, likes her pen, pet bed, tunnels, pigloos and hideys.) And some are more childlike (like Babydoll or Marissabelle. They both have sippy cups, love strolling in a double stroller, are being trained to use a fluffy toddler potty. Wear diapers on long trips.) For punishments i use the same regardless of how animal or childlike a fluffy is. Sorry box and sorry stick if the crime is severe enough. A bap to the nose with a newspaper or a spanking if they do something just horrible like try to kill their housemate or some shit. Heck even turning a fluffy around and sticking its nose in a corner is the same thing as being in a sorry box to them.

I treat mine like kids or pets depending on the fluffy. But all of mine blur the line between child and animal.

5 Likes