Writers block mid-story - any advice? [RampagingFoal]

First off, sorry for so many community posts and not posting anything of substance. I’m sure it’s annoying to see.

But I’m writing a story about an extreme hugboxer who abuses her fluffy through too much affection. (HEAVILY inspired by this work by moonbat: The Extreme Hugboxer Fluffy (moonbat)) The problem is, I’ve hit a bump in the road. I want to keep writing, I can feel it in my bones, but I can only get a few words down before I think to myself “Where am I going with this sentence?”

So, I’m asking for help. How do you guys figure out where to take your story when you’ve hit a roadblock?

Again, sorry for the community post. Actual story coming soon, promise.

4 Likes

Well, I’d take what’s happening at that moment and say: What’d be the worse case event if it was to happen right now?

I’m not sure what the cause of your block, but trying to force and event and seeing what plays out can help.

1 Like

You should probably take a small break. I sometimes suffer from burnout so I just give myself a few hours to recharge. I hope this helps!

1 Like

If I get stuck, I figure out whatever boring shit happens next and go with it. You might also want to take a break if you’ve been working for a long time. Endurance writing is a skill.

1 Like

Hmm…that’s true. Gotta be a little boring to make the fun stuff all the better. I guess I’m just not used to writing such a slowburn story, especially when it comes to abuse.

1 Like

That’s probably a good idea…I’ll try and think of ideas for filler while doing other stuff and see if that helps. Just staring at the google doc definitely isn’t doing me any favors. Thank you!

2 Likes

You can always edit boring or ineffective sections once you’ve finished your first draft. Right now, the goal is words on the screen.

1 Like

Take a walk, or do something else.

Is a good idea to change of ambience when writing

2 Likes

From experience, taking a walk, and maybe getting a drink at the bodega/cornershop/whatever you call it, is a great way to recover from writer’s exhaustion. Another good way is to take a day or two off and do something physically active, like gardening or basketball or going for a hike. It can really knock things loose in your brain.

1 Like

Also have a nice cup of tea, read a book or a movie and other relaxing stimuli imo helps

1 Like

There’s no wrong answer to running out of steam. Take a break. I’ve gone months without updating a story before.

(kicks Sawbones under the fridge, because it hasn’t been updated in three years)

Just… take it as it comes.

1 Like

What I do is write a small story about something different.

3 Likes

Set it aside for a few days and come back to it. These things are hard bc there’s no easy way of knowing where exactly you wrote yourself into a hole, could be that this sentence is the problem, you could have fucked up a paragraph ago.

Once you’ve let it rest, try remembering the plot of it from memory, no looking at the story. That’s usually what helps me, sitting with some tea and just mulling it over.

If that doesn’t work, scorched earth. Delete a bigger chunk than you think you need an try it again.

Good luck! It sounds like a fascinating concept.

2 Likes

Also this. It doesn’t usually solve my writing problem but it keeps me from burning out on my longer projects. Remember that no one is demanding shit from you, everything you give us is a gift and we can wait for it to be done.

2 Likes

when i get stuck i pick something to describe in excruciating detail. i write like that anyway, and it’s fun for me, so it always gets the creative juices flowing.

where is the sentence going? find out. keep pushing it until you find the end. you can edit it later.

2 Likes