A Potential Reconciliation - H83r Opinion Piece

I cast wizard nuke and decree that all the rice is overcooked lmfao

Terrible

1 Like

Brother

4 Likes

The problem is that it becomes a problem of being too attached to things other than fluffies, that the work becomes less about the fluffies and more the other element, to the extent that the story doesn’t really need fluffies to begin with. There were times on the booru when certain people made posts and stories about their fluffy abusers that the picture and story had little to no fluffies in them. Likewise, the jellenheimer wave we had last year was because jellenheimers were more interesting than flufffies. After all, if jellenheimers were cooler and capable of doing more things than fluffies, then why shouldn’t they be the focus? Hence why there was an attempt at making a jellenheimer community. I could see the same thing happening to puffy griffins, if given enough push.

Its why I feel that more attachment and value needs to be given to fluffies. But then we get into the problem of “why shouldn’t fluffies be cannibals, be edgy, have teeth, etc etc”. Its not an easy question to answer - some people feel that fluffies can only be interesting to them if they’re badass, some feel that fluffies are a plague no matter what. Part of the reason why I keep insisiting on checking for different headcanons is because the reality is that not all fluffies are the same. I think, just factoring the worth of the individual artists and writers, and their different approaches to fluffies is a step towards respecting the differences we have.

1 Like

That’s a new one, I mostly focus on the whole “wizards used to shit themselves then teleport it away before they discovered indoor plumbing in the 1800’s” retcon

1 Like

And you say that like it is but we all know
DEPENDS
ON
HEADCANNON
And most of what I read seems to feature sorry, scared, excited and just plain lazy pooping

1 Like

I have a lot of disagreements in the topic, but I shall respond to this one because it sort of coalesces a lot of my disagreements with the other camp.

Not all artists and writers depict them as excessively shitting. I sure as hell don’t have that in my headcanon. Part of my love of the wird of hugboxers and cute fluffy artists like Waggytail, Coalheart and @SqueakyFriend 's work is that fluffies don’t excessively defecate in suck work. And I don’t expect the fluffies from the artists I enjoy to exhibit that. I feel its an overused and in some cases over-expected trope, bordering on a fetish.

I tend to look at fluffspeak the way West African Pidgin and Singlish works. I treat fluffspeak as a language because, and despite the approach that its supposed to be a babyish form of talk, people have ascribed unique rules to it on the booru and even up to now, a reason why Feyascia wrote a primer on it. In that sense, fluffspeak seems more interesting to me as a unique language, even though its a derivative of English. As it is, I have a series of stories that considers fluffspeak as a language.

Consider the following dialogue in West African Pidgin. How much of the dialogue is clear, and how much of it doesn’t make sense?

I also tend to imagine fluffies having different voices and not all sounding the same. Its like how different children would have different voices.

I guess this one is a preference thing. One may find it awful, I find it endearing.

Different people have approached it differently. Some people make the safe room a large thing, others have sufficed with giving the fluffy its own bed and treating it as like any other pet. Maybe I’m not too attached to the idea of fluffies being an overly expensive pets because some have depicted them being raised like a cat or dog and without the depiction of a safe room.

Do I think its potentially expensive? Of course, and I’ve even written a story considering it. But ultimately the choice is down to the individual consumer. @Foxhoarder did a story about an owner making a fluffy happy with a limtied buedget, as did @Carpdime did a story about making a fluffy happy with DIY toys. And besides, if fluffies were as mentally stunted as people make them out to be, I think making them happy wouldn;t be that expensive, actually.

Ultimately, it all boils down to one owns biases, preferences, and of course, Headcanon!

Maybe you should look into the content that doesn’t feature them excessively shittin’. Just saiyan’.
To reflect back to my earlier point, just because it so common in abuse works and headcanon doesn’t mean it applies to “all” fluffies by different artists and writers.

2 Likes

That’s nice and all but I still hate the little bastards with a passion, they instill a burning loathing in me thats hard to explain

3 Likes

And thats the primary issue. Its why there’s this rift between hugboxer and abusers. End of the day, and even with much rationalization, if someone hates something thats just how it is. Conversely, if someone likes something, thats how it is.

Its why I agree with the below:

I’ve been a big proponent of 1, and while its not formerly instituted on this site, I do try to discourage people from making abuseive or pro-abuse posts on the hugbox posts. I really do think the rule is needed, especially since its a difference that cannot be really reasoned out.

I also strongly ask that everyone whose on this site practise 2. The booru, especially in its latter years, didn’t have a working filter, and you couldn’t ignore users. The fact that fluffycommunity has it puts it above the booru.

I feel that hugbox is a lot more then that. I’m of the opinion that hugbox looks into the intrinsic worth and value of fluffies, and how they can positively benefit others, and vice-versa. The genre itself didn’t start purely in abuse, and when Art-anon drew the first fluffies, I think he was just channeling how the idea seem endearing to him. I think there’s a lot more to the hugbox in the history of the fandom and the booru that puts it above being a mere “palate-cleanser”.

4 Likes

In regards to my question, aside from being tongue in cheek foreshadowing of my plans once I can spare some time, I have done exactly this with my lore about fluffy exterminating robots. In practice, everything about my bots is only tangentially related to fluffies, with the focus being about the bots and the their methods. It can be done without getting obnoxious like jellenheimers, because it’s already happened.

It also helps that @infraredturbine is the biggest fan of them.

Now in regards for you trading headcanon blows with people, keep in mind that this topic is just meant for people to state where they are coming from for the sake of discourse elsewhere on the site.

I know you’d like to counter some of the stances opposed to yours, or offer some new perspectives, but in this case you may see better results if you leave a line out and let the curious find their own way, or encourage them to speak with you directly.

3 Likes

True, but its also why I picked a specific post for the sake of doing it - otherwise I would be here all day, indeed.

1 Like

The fluffy community is an interesting and dynamic place, definitely one of the more unusual fandoms that I have found myself in. What brought me to fluffies was actually a rogue thread on 4chan this time last year. I’m thirty and I have been browsing 4chan since I was around fifteen years old, periodically visiting it to get a good laugh or see something through a different perspective. Anyway I remember seeing a thread that had a Carpdime art piece, a mare was tearfully calling out to her foals that had fallen down a sewer grate. I recognized the horses were MLP inspired, but something seemed off about it. I then proceeded to read through the thread and became sickened, yet curious.

I eventually found the reddit and participated in some lore discussion to learn more and get a feel for the story telling. My art skills had deteriorated from my former career in the Air Force, so eventually I began to seek out an artist who could help me bring my ideas to life (both for inspiration and content promotion) which lead me to meeting @infraredturbine (which by now, I’m sure most people have seen tons of our joint work and projects). Its been a wild ride, I can say that much.

What keeps me in the fluffy community is the absolute freedom of both art and writing. Since the fandom is owned by no one and the canon is really just guidelines, you can run with the content to whatever direction you want to take it. Its a fantastic asset for any content creator to dive into and is what makes this community unique. This is why I’ve often gone out of my way to do more ambitious projects (Hasbio Catalogue, A Heart of Darkness, Fluffy Biology Document, Enfie Babbeh Story, The Facility etc) for the sake of exploring that true freedom. Personally, I do not consider myself fully aligned to any one box, but the majority of my work falls under the Sad Box territory. Unfortunately this has lead to some very overzealous individuals to target me (I was banned on a few subreddits because one such individual kept leaving creepy comments to me and even directly told some mods I was an animal abuser because of my story content etc). I guess its the nature of the beast though.

One thing that has bothered me a lot recently in the fandom, is this consistent push that (when its convenient and you don’t like someone) that they do not own their content and its fair game to Abuse-shitpost or Hug-Fix the content. Now don’t get me wrong, if the original creator gives you the green light, you’re more than welcome to do so as you did the courteous thing and ask permission. However, before one does so they ought to consider the creator’s original intent and message they wanted to get across. When we create something, we dedicate our time, skills, and a little bit of ourselves into our work for others to enjoy. Its a reflection of who we are as people, sharing a snippet of our thoughts and our soul to one another. I find it disrespectful and rude to just shit over that hard work because someone felt entitled to it.

Let me be very clear this isn’t directed at one single person, but rather the individuals who encourage the behavior and make excuses. It seems as though if you don’t like the original creator (but like the unofficial continuation creator) these individuals feel like they can retcon the original work our of existence. This goes both ways on boxes, not just one or the other. Its just a matter of respecting your fellow content creator and appreciating them enough to give them courtesy. If you can give your fellow creators that level of respect and courtesy, it honestly helps improve the fandom.

This fandom has so much potential and dedicated people working to help bring us to greater heights. I just hope that everyone can find ways to co-exist with one another.

4 Likes

Talking with you was definitely a leading contribution to making this topic, and the level of disclosure of my real life.

1 Like

(that directed at me or oc) ?

1 Like

I am the OP so

1 Like

but are you the OC, H83r?

1 Like

Checks avatar

… Yeah?

2 Likes

great :grin:

2 Likes

I meant if you were referring to me or oculus lol.

1 Like

Yourself, silly.

2 Likes

Since you are all rambling cunts I think I understand the propose of this post , it all comes down to the artist needs to grow a skin not a thick skin just a skin

Once you creat something and release it to the world you loose control over it no one will see your creation the same way you see it , every once in a while post a comment counter to your view , I know I understand how dare this subhuman filth dare to think they are worthy of contradicting you .

You the artist must always remember you are the dumb ass buffoon that went looking for attention, and now you have it and that subhuman filth is actually just a person like you and like you he seeks the comradery of a community more over you have stirred a emotion in the poster what you sought to do when posting your art , why would you throw that all away by not being able to keep your ego in check,
Joke whit your posters give none committal response tell them you choose to go a different way then the one the would choose, but don’t act like there post invalidates your work don’t scream that they have no right to a opinion and don’t run to the mods demanding they be silenced just because your no skinned ass can not take the slightest bit of disagreement whit your work have some fucking humility you did not hang the stars

2 Likes