Fluffy Questions (Coming from a newbie)

I’m just guessing this is where to ask questions, so please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong. I did ask for them in a thread but I’m not so sure that many people will see them, and I’m looking for as many answers as I can get.
1: I heard that fluffies are racist… was that a headcanon?
2: Are headcanons accepted here? If not, where can I read up on the lore and backstory? (I already read on the fandom wiki, honestly didn’t get much from it)
3: Why is fluffy abuse a thing? No hate, just an actual question, do we have a reason to hate/abuse these little critters? Cuz by looks alone they’re cute so I don’t really get it.
4: What’s up with the whole skettie obsession?
5: How do you go about writing a fluffy into a story?
6: Are fluffies still heavily related to MLP or are we avoiding that now? I think when I saw it years ago it was majorly connected to the MLP fandom?
I think that’s all for now, but I will add on in the comments if I ever have any more questions (if this is the right place to post this)

6 Likes

1: not sure but if it was its basically cannon now aside from a few people.
2: everything is basically head cannon and if it isnt you will find it in almost any other story you see.
3: cuteness aggression
4: idk just go with it
5: basically the same as writing a retarded toddler
6: we avoid MLP association most of the time because the fluffy representation is already negative, we dont need to draw actual kids too it

Hope this helps

2 Likes

6: Many of us have no connection to the MLP fandom at all, so we just write about generic fluffies most of the time

3 Likes

Welcome, and yes you’re asking in the right place.

1. Usually, yes. Most fluffies are, inherently, bigoted. Mostly because they don’t know any better. They look down on brown (poopie) fluffies, retarded (dummeh/derpy) fluffies, alicorns, and maybe a few other things that don’t come to mind.

2. Headcanons are fine, as long as they’re within reason and fit well with the generally established lore. Nobody will mind if you make a few changes to suit your ideas/needs, but if you go for something really cringe or unoriginal, you’re likely to get a few side-eyes. My biggest advice here is to go for it, but be receptive to any negative feedback.

3. Well, the long answer goes way back to 2012-ish 4chan. People back then made fluffies as a way to portray MLP characters as retarded little idiots and beat them up, to piss off the bronies on /mlp/. If you’re asking about why now? Eh, it’s fun, they’re dumb little animals and need a good ass-whooping.

4. Spaghetti is a funny word. Also, due to the old 4chan meme of
    >trips
    >spaghetti falls out of pocket
    which you can read more about here.

5. A fluffy shouldn’t be written into a story. A story should be written around a fluffy. Ultimately, that’s the end goal. Telling a story about a fluffy, not a story with a fluffy in it. Many have made that mistake, myself included way back when. I’d say if you need inspiration look around the most popular text posts right now and see if you feel any ideas forming. From there, just put words to paper. You may find this and this and ESPECIALLY this extremely useful.

6. They’re not related much anymore but we don’t have any disdain for the community. I’m a brony (well, mostly former) who found fluffies on /mlp/ back in 2014. Most bronies don’t really like fluffy abuse though. Side note: please be aware that we do not allow abuse art of regular ponies. If you ever start drawing, make absolutely sure your fluffies are distinguishable as such.

If you have any questions or need clarification just ask. Forgive any mistakes, it’s 3:44 in the morning.

4 Likes
  1. there is no cannon, it’s all headcannons
  2. yep, but there’s no cannon. It’s all made up.
  3. in most people’s fiction they’re the source of everything bad. They caused a massive economical collapse, they spread disease, they destroy yards, they smell bad, they killed your grandma etc. most of the time though? It’s just because. Call it cute aggression, call it degeneracy, whatever. It’s just fun.
  4. that one does have a source, the 4chan pockets full of spaghetti meme. Someone wrote about keeping a fluffy in their pocket to eat all the spaghetti and it caught on.
  5. you just do.
  6. it’s adjacent. They’re very much based on MLP but they’re sorta their own thing. Depends on how you want it to be.
2 Likes

I have to be honest, I think “it’s all headcanons” is harmful advice to give someone so new to the community. We should really encourage people to grasp the basics and common tropes before branching off into their own headcanons.

2 Likes

‘They killed your grandma’ from what I’ve seen of these things I wouldn’t be that shocked by that

1 Like
  1. If you count aggression toward poopie babbehs and alicorns then yes.
  2. Anything goes, fire away.
    3.for me personally it’s therapeutic , I know they don’t exist and I know I would never do that in real life. Since it’s a world of,fiction then i allow myself to stretch my morbid muscles,and try to out abuse my fellow boorus.
  3. In some headcanons it was hard wired into fluffy dna. Many have no idea what skettis is and some are so dumb you could feed them cut up strips of paper and they would devour it as skettis.
2 Likes

So these things just have a naturally occurring obsession with spaghetti? (Plus that 4chan meme ofc) Cuz honestly… same here

I always forget about that meme until someone mentions it, unrelated but didn’t someone also make it a vine at some point?

Sure did.

1 Like

Fluffies are an odd mix of ingrained information, taught ideas, and misunderstandings of the world around them

3 Likes

The others have been well covered by other users. But this one probably needs more detailed. Originally Fluffies were never racist or looked down on others. They just saw disabled fluffies that needs more hugs and love and the smarter fluffies would twig that the bad colored ones were headed to grizzly fates and would give them hugs and love. Mares would frequently proclaim “Aww babbehs awe bestest babbehs”. The only exception was Alicorns where they were scared or angry because they simply could not parse both having horns and a wing on one fluffy (As it was a “Glitch” Hasbio were trying to fix). Fluffy racism came in later when the Fluffy threads on 4chan were kicked from /mlp/ to /b/ and the newer, edgier users decided to write fluffies as racist hellgremlins to “Justify” abuse.

You can write or draw racist fluffies but you’ll get a stink eye from some of the older members of the community who have seen hundreds of “Poopie babbeh” stories that all play out the same.

5 Likes

So I’m not the only one who dislikes that poopie baby ‘classic’ storyline? Thank god

3 Likes

The 4chan mene that blew up when dustykatt went ham on the guys at that convention :joy:

1 Like

That’s a fair point. I do think it’s important to point out that there’s no cannon though. There’s no singular post out there about the creation of fluffies that we use as our Bible. It really is all headcannons, they’re just ones that we all accept as a group.

There is some hard and fast rules about flufflies;

They have their own way of talking.
They’re dumb as hell and often fall for simple tricks.
They’re pretty much stuck as this bootleg state.

I’ve seen a number of folks trying to ‘fix’ fluffies which basically turn them into MLP, which is why there’s some hard and fast rules that everyone basically agree to with them. Everything else is up to the person.

3 Likes
  1. Fluffies are racist in a lot of stories but I think it makes for lazy content so I don’t include it in mine. I think it’s funnier when they get into conflict for different reasons. Really it’s just a matter of whatever you prefer but I think it bottlenecks you into a very specific form of content which has been done to death

2. You will likely get laughed at if your headcanon involves way too smart fluffies or they’re just super special.

3. Because it’s funny

4. Because it’s funny

5. What Za said

6. Only a few dudes here care about MLP as far as I know

3 Likes

Yeah but speaking in an authoritative form about individual traits like fluffy ponies all being racist - a thing some of us have been here long enough to remember NOT being present, let alone standard - positions you as an authority. Same as the little shield icon. So maybe avoid it.

Loooooot of stories about not liking brown fluffs. Many have and do ignore that trend. Hell gremlins and justice abusers pushed it way up.

Yes. Short lore fluffs were made by hasbio, released by peta, devastate gardens, shit miracle fertilizer, have a serious speech impediment(read the primer), and love sketti. The rest is a little up in the air.

Because it’s terrible and that’s what matters. If you’re not into it you probably won’t have fun here.

They eat it for you so it doesn’t spill out of your pockets. Chan holdover that’s cute as hell. Uphold it or die.

Start with an all loving all helping animal with a first grade education and zero practical knowledge. Then put them through the meat grinder and ask what they’d want to do moment to moment. You’ll figure it out.

Lesser. The ties will never break but they have rusted a bit. Don’t expect new blood to be a fan.

1 Like