Hey Racecar! *poke....poke-poke.....* You okay buddy?

christmas racecar icon

He’s frozen stiff, y’all.
I mean, he was just supposed to be a Christmas decoration and now he’s frozen so solidly to the banner that we’re going to probably need a snow shovel to pry him off of there.
Maybe a blow torch. I dunno.
We’ll get that figured out, in time.

But the bigger question is, whose fluffy are we gonna replace him with?

We need a new Unity
And now that we’ve got more of the specifics of Discourse banners and icons figured out, I think we should open the floor up to new Unity submissions

For those of you who might be new,
Unity is the name for the Fluffy Unicorn that represents Fluffy-Community… until they don’t, anymore.

We’ve had a number of Unity models.
Some of them met some rather interesting ends, when their tenure came to a close.

If you want to submit a fluffy to use as our next Unity, there are some things to consider.

The dimensions of the “banner” (the larger version of the icon, where you see the entirety of our site’s name) are based on the dimensions 240 pixels height, and 800 pixels width
You do not have to strictly stick to these dimensions, but the banner needs to be that general shape
The leftmost square (240 x 240 pixels, if you stick to the recommended size) will be the “icon”, which will be seen as a person scrolls down any page of the site, and generally, that’s where we like Unity to stay. This icon will also be used in other places on the website’s branding.

Because we have a number of themes for people to choose from, Unity needs to be on a transparent background. That way, no matter what theme a person might be using, Unity and the banner will look like they belong there.

Unity has been animated in the past, and we would love to see more animated Unity…s
…Unitees?
Anyway…

Unity is always a Unicorn.
Don’t go trying to tell me Racecar isn’t a unicorn.
He has a Horn! And most of the time it’s even on his head!
And that’s good enough for us.
Your submission for the role of Unity can be a pegasus, or an earthy, but if we have to we’ll staple a party hat onto it’s head and call it a fuckin’ unicorn.
You can stick an ice cream cone to their face and we’ll accept it.
But Unity is always a Unicorn.

And it’s tradition that some little red dude hides somewhere in the banner. Sometimes he even interacts with Unity. There is no official explanation for this.
Sure it seems to unnerve Unity, but who cares we just overlook that.

Directions for using traditional art for the banner can be found here

Feel free to ask questions or to discuss the event, here.

Sorry authors, unless you can make an ASCII Unity, you’re kinda left out of this one.

Entries are due…looks up at Racecar and scratches his head… whenever I can get this little moron off the banner.

Nixy dear, would you grab my hammer and chisel, please?

The sharp one.

Nah it won’t hurt him. He’s too frozen to cry.

26 Likes

When I asked Turbine for his advice on making Unity he had this to say -

@infraredturbine: I’d say follow your heart

But this is terrible advice, because so many of our members have really weird hearts.

@infraredturbine: don’t make it too poluted

This, however, is an excellent point. Whatever you put on the banner and icon is going to be shrunk down to a size suitable for all kinds of mobile devices. If the image is too “busy” with stuff in the frame, it won’t look nearly as good.
So generally speaking, you should remember K.I.S.S.

(Keep It Simple, Stupid)

4 Likes

Another pointer that should be considered: the unicorn should be generally shaped like a fluffy.

This counts as a Unity.

^ This doesn’t even though the character is HMS Unicorn from Azur Lane.

7 Likes

I sure will!

scrub scrub scrub

3 Likes

Carrot is technically a unicorn… But making him a banner would be cheating, because he would never die :,)

4 Likes

I can’t see who gave me the reddit emoji but I’ve got my guesses. Regardless:

I mean he can die. He will just resurrect to a heart breaking fact that he is no longer a mascot, which would obviously be his fault and there will be no way to fix it and everyday he will cry himself to sleep looking at his superior (?) replacement on national TV

4 Likes

Glad to see the tradition of replacing Unity is still going. It’s always fun to see the new one and the new banner.

2 Likes

I like your robot Unity. Was this used for the old website (Fluffycommunity without the dash) before it went down?

1 Like

It was. Thanks, it means a lot coming from you!

I’d love to see a Butcher banner.

2 Likes

Omg I love this idea :smiley:

1 Like

@BFM101 submit Crimson

1 Like

I would but he’s quite controversial. The reasons why people love him - his foul-mouth, his psychopathy etc - are the same reasons why people hate him.

Besides, introducing newcomers with a mascot who’s a cannibalistic serial killing rapist who dabbles in mutilation, molestation and necrophilia doesn’t exactly scream ‘Welcome’.

2 Likes

You What GIFs | Tenor
Didn’t know about the necrophilist part, but thanks xD

1 Like

Thanks. I’m not sure how to do a banner, since I have no experience with digital art.
But I’d love to do one in the future when I learn how to do it.
Although technically one of my Fluffies already got featured as Unity

1 Like

Classic lmao.

1 Like

It should be easy enough to make a banner using traditional art.
Just make a banner that is 4x as wide as it is tall
The leftmost quarter should have unity in it, and nothing else
Make the background a single, solid color that is easily removable, kinda like a green screen
(remember that you can’t use this background color anywhere else in the image, or that will likely get removed too)
And if at all possible, scan the banner in as high a quality as you can.

1 Like

I can see who it was, but it’s funnier not to tell you

Wouldn’t have it any other way hoss.

1 Like

oh wait, HE WILL DIE, evermind