How To Make Fluffy Content 2

Realizing A Concept

Also known as:
Let’s Get Motivated

Due to the nature of this topic, I would rather not partake in a lengthy preamble. Rather, I wish to address a point that I now feel I had inadequately handled, and then press right on. In the previous content creation guide I had railed against the overthinking of fluffy content and demonstrated that one does not need skill or special tools in order to contribute to the community. On a superficial level, this is a sufficient assertion. However, at this juncture, I believe it is not enough to state how easy fluffy creation is; rather, it would be far more useful to frame what the point of making fluffy content is and how a prospective creator may execute an idea.

Yes, fluffy content is easy to make. But that ease is no comfort or benefit for someone that wants to create, but does not know what to create. If this is you, keep reading. Moreover, I will address the writing of fluffy literature as well as visual artwork.

The point of fluffy content.

To make this the first subject tackled in this reading is more audacious than some of you may appreciate, for the simple fact that the point of fluffy content differs from person to person. Why is anyone even here? Luckily the question is not one to senselessly pontificate on, for it was already asked, and it has been answered. Many times. In all the ways that it can be meaningfully answered. Thus, I am not going to sit here and wax poetic about what compels the potential artists among our number to peruse this website, engage with its users, and add to the extensive library of items.

What I am going to do is reveal a neat truth that I had discovered early on about this subculture. The truth is, the true value of fluffy content is not the fluffies, or the proliferation of any one genre over another.

The point of fluffies is the fact that a bunch of people at various stages of their life’s journey have congregated here out of their own volition, despite the reputation of the subject matter, and decided to sink their time into sharing parts of themselves through their works of myriad kinds. These stories which have no other place to call home. These artworks that belong in no other gallery but their designated creator.

I was not around for the Booru, but I’ve seen what it used to be like. I am not talking about website layout or functionality – that is ultimately inconsequential. I am talking about a place brimming with unrestrained creativity. All of the names you see getting content reposted, at one point, were posting simultaneously with a staggering number of other people, nearly daily. That is an astounding level of productivity. It was a kind of force that had no confines or narrative to guide it. No driving motivation other than its own. It was art for the sake of art, regardless of what the art was about.

It was, and still is, beautiful.

The point of fluffies is an unmitigated spirit and desire to make things. We do not have to like everything that gets made, and we certainly do not necessarily like each other as people. It is as true now as it was back then, only with the veneer of law and order and civility. Nevertheless, we are here, and you are reading this.

So why not show the community what you have brewing in your head? You have an ample resource for the basics in this wiki, and it’s only going to keep growing.

Art for the sake of art.

Fluffy content is easy. Fluffy content does not have to be some high-concept endeavor. It can be, and it can be interesting to see and experience. But there is no prerequisite for something dense or even impactful to be someone’s introduction to the community. Tell me, are you fascinated by the idea of fluffies? Do you think making content about fluffies would be fun? If the answer to both of the questions is yes, you are about eighty percent of the way towards becoming a content creator. What do you want to make?

Here’s an anecdote:

What do these four submissions mean for someone trying to get into making fluffy content, aside from the fact that H83R has spent far too much of his life on this project?

It means do whatever you want so long as it’s within some reasonable scope of being considered fluffy-centric. You can shitpost fluffies for fun. Do what you think is fun. Do what you think is interesting.

I like robots and shit so I made a Gundam fluffy for a banner once, so you can use fluffies as a vector to introduce people to your interests.

If you want to make fluffy content, do so, just because you can.

But I want to undertake some high-concept endeavor!

And who am I to stop you? Who is anyone – who is not staff – to stop you?

Too often, you stop yourself. That is the entire point of me writing this. So how does H83R intend to help some ambitious upstart realize their magnum opus of fluffy… whatever, because they insist on making it?

Well.

One of those links up there is an over twelve thousand word story with some shitty illustrations. The existence of this thing means you can accomplish your goal of telling a long-form narrative as well. Use your life experience to fuel your work and inform the themes contained within, or scour the website for inspirations. I am far from the only one who has done it, and I am far from the best example of it being done. Believe in yourself, believe in your vision, and do it because you want to.

Just try to keep an open mind to feedback – we’ve had a few people get too attached to their works that, let’s just say, did not warrant that level of emotional investment.

Do not be discouraged by negative feedback. Do not challenge it, or rationalize it away. Internalize it if it is presented in a punctual and intelligent manner. Ignore it if it isn’t. Be better for next time.

I can’t get my ideas off the ground!

That’s worrisome because ideas are supposed to be in your brain.

Regardless of how one’s neurological activity becomes subject to the fundamental force of gravity, there is a recourse in the form of the community at large. Artists are not subject to creating in a vacuum, and there are a number of ways that a prospective creator can utilize their fellow F-C members to forward their aims.

1.) Asking: The simplest solution when all else fails; a community post canvasing for ideas or premise prompts can go a long way. This wiki entry was born from one such effort. Just don’t rely on it, because it’s not a good look when the front page is cluttered with these kinds of posts.

Do you want to practice drawing fluffies? Ask to draw people’s OCs. Get absolutely swamped because holy fuck are there a lot of OCs for some reason.

Do you want to fulfill someone’s particular craving for content? Ask about what people want to see written or drawn.

Do you want to earn some money? If you’ve got the skills people will pay for, open up a thread detailing the conditions of commissioning your talent.

2.) Collaborating: It’s like asking, but more specific! Again, this can be done through a public community post if you’re trying to mobilize a bunch of people, but you can also utilize the PM function to see if that one creator you’re a fan of would be willing to mentor you on all things fluffy, or partner up on a project.

3.) Participating: Every so often the staff or another member will host an event. Themed occasions, contests, fluffy adoptions, seasonal daily prompts, and so on. Engage with these to get creative juices flowing, or challenge yourself to be more creatively malleable.

4.) Asking: No, really, just ask someone in a PM or something if they’d be cool with helping you out. Don’t be discouraged if someone refuses, just ask someone else.

5.) Lurking: This probably isn’t going to help you so much if you’re struggling to commit to the creative process, but if you are that anxious about making your debut, then there’s nothing wrong with laying low and observing things until you’re ready. Don’t force it; you’ll know when you have something to get behind.

CONCLUSION.

Fluffies are a hobby at the end of the day. If you aren’t having fun with fluffies, in whatever way you define fun, then what’s the point?

The community tends to fixate on things of yesterday too much, always trying to grasp at the things that were lost. It’s easy to feel cast aside and disposable if you aren’t within the top ten bracket of famous creators. Do not fret this too much.

Life is best lived, living for one’s self. Creating for one’s own enjoyment. If you have fun making fluffy content, then do so. If this website means nothing more to you can a repository to host your vision that you enjoy making a reality, then so be it.

Maybe if this is the mentality that more people embrace, then perhaps this community can finally start moving forward again, and get back to churning out more jackshit fluffy fuckery again.

Yes, I realize the irony of me being the one to say this.

No, I will not stop fucking around outside of my earnest attempts to aid this community’s AIDS.

Fuck ya’ll. Have a nice life.

9 Likes