Poll on Paid Adoptables

shiet, I’m getting old for internet I guess

2 Likes

this is the power of pressing every single unknown button

2 Likes

You already allow commissions advertisements and requests, adoptables are simply an extension of that . That being said can we get a specific tag for this phenomena for those of us who would like to filter them out of their feed

5 Likes

So long as people remember Caveat Emptor (let the buyer beware) I don’t think we need to put regulations on what people do with their money.
It’s no business of ours.
But we also shouldn’t be held liable if something goes awry between the buyer and seller.

There should probably be a way to review buyers/sellers so that multiple people don’t get burned by a single user

4 Likes

i feel so bad that i was the one who opened pandora’s box with the paid adoptables :scream: :scream: :scream:

i created each of those adoptables with the intent to inspire whoever bought them, they’re not meant to be bought as designs, but as “characters.” they’re like toys, they’re meant to be played with, so i include more than just a character’s appearance to get the ball rolling
(which is why i was so thorough with the lore of the Pillow Farm & personalities & histories, to give people a jumping off point for what happens/happened/will happen to that character)

i kept prices to $5 ($10 if i was having trouble letting go) bc i didn’t want to price out somebody who would otherwise make something cool out of an adopt. i know $5 might still be too much for some people, so if someone is absolutely overflowing with ideas for a particular one i’m 100% okay with waiving the adoption fee. I put heart into these things, i don’t wanna taint them by harping on the money aspect.

the Real Earth Dollars pricetags are partly to give ppl pause to make Really Really Sure they want the character, and also so i could make at least something back on 3 weeks of work. im so lucky that everyone here values artists and their work so much :sob:

i’m probably not going to do many more pre-designed adoptables (i dont have many ideas left after birthing 22 of the fucking things) i’m planning to do more custom designs where i can help put other ppl’s ideas on paper for them.

5 Likes

the pandora’s box was opened quite a long time ago actually (with not that much of a success, but still). you just reminded us that it’s still open and we didn’t made any decicions in regards to it

7 Likes

Adoptables seem harmless enough in themselves, though I agree there should be a tag. Paying for adoptables sounds like a bit of a self-regulating market - if they’re generic low-effort fluffies you’d find on the street, nobody buys them anyway, right?

Personally I’d just make Mystery Bag adoptables, gimme five bucks (and a box) and I design you a fluffy on the spot. … That sounds fun actually…

5 Likes

I see no harm in allowing artists to sell pre-made adoptables. There’s no limit on commissions, I see no reason to limit pre-mades (although if it gets out of hand we can always group it and have people opt in or out).

2 Likes

I actually like that idea, depending on how many fluffies are in the batch someone could make a fair amount of money from it :slight_smile: So one sheet of paid fluffies a month would be a fair play imo~

I disagree with the opinion of comparing adoptables to NFTs. I see where people are coming from, but adopts were a thing long before NFTs, hell - they remember the earliest days of DeviantArt, if not even older times. They are not inflating any markets or paid a ridiculous amount of money, they are just pre-made little designs that people choose to buy if they don’t have ideas for their character designs or backstories, which is very cool if you ask me~

4 Likes

Either people can try to make money off fluffies or not . This people will spam low effort paid adopted shits is ludicrous dose any really think people will churn out adopted shit if no one is buying, what is keeping people from spamming low effort posts to advertise commission. If mods are to lazy to mod make a tag to put all advertisements for money making posts and not just signal out one form of money making because you think it is easy to spam

1 Like

You shouldn’t feel bad this is just mods tilting at windmills, there is no sign of a gluttony of low effort paid adopted if anything there is an over abundance of free adoption shits that no one cares if they are spammed but make a buck off of one and everyone gets the vapors

3 Likes

I clicked the option “Should paid adoptables be allowed?” :derp:

2 Likes

a wise man never stops asking questions

3 Likes

Why?

2 Likes

If anything, the concept of adoptables is ripe for satire, and fluffy pony is an excellent vehicle for it.

5 Likes

Personally, to me, paid adoptables are, really, no different than commissions just mass produced and without input from the buyer. I don’t know, using the term “paid adoptables” just doesn’t sit right with me maybe if you just said that they were for sale :shrug:. But that’s just my 2 cents worth.

1 Like

As a matter of fact, it has been done! Here and here

That said, there’s a certain level of sincerity involved with paid adoptables. However, an exchange of real world money is involved in the transaction. Which makes it more similar to a commission or, more definitely, a “packaged” commission.

To take Nix’s point a steps further, NFTs are tied to a blockchain. Basically put, an NFT is a receipt for a placement on a blockchain. Since these adoptables are not associated with any form of cryptocurrency or blockchain, the statement is misleading, perhaps even grossly so.

3 Likes

I see adopts as a missing link between commissions and nfts. It doesn’t involve any blockchain or market manipulation like a normal commission, but the price/effort racio is already somewhere on an nft level

1 Like

Why not just have this sentiment be a disclaimer in the rules, and make it so that sellers need to include this whenever they announce sales.

And let the NFT stans buy their NFTs if they really really wanna burn some cash.

1 Like

Please, we need a specific tag for Adoptables; they’re flooding the adoption tag with trash and there’s no way to filter them out.