Project Golding 02 (by Booperino)

Sequel to Project Golding 01 (by Booperino)

Detail i forgot to point out in part 1 is that they got their names right before they were put to sleep. Since they were nameless babys before they just accepted it no questions.

Why was Zero placed away from the other sleeping subjects :thinking:

42 Likes

For the Achievement, obviously!

“It Helps With Algebra: Discovered Zero”

10 Likes

hah!

5 Likes

Looks like that foal manage to shit himself now :joy:

Looks like four had a good family. And have survival skills.

5 Likes

If my history is right - which I doubt - zero was the last number added to the original 1-9 system, so this is historically accurate

Holy crap is this an analogy for the discovery of mathematics?

6 Likes

I honestly have no idea. All I know is that it was a major advance and I’ll probably never fully understand the implications of it.

5 Likes

10 Likes

7 Likes

The base ten system has existed for millennia–given humans like to count on their fingers, this isn’t surprising. And of course the concept of “none” is probably even older

But the idea of “zero” as an actual number is much more recent–Muslim mathematicians in the late first millennium CE were the first to formally use zero. It isn’t intuitive that a number for nothing would be useful, though in hindsight the advantages are obvious.

Algebra was invented by the Greeks in the mid-first century BCE, over a millennium before zero, as was geometry, neither of which require it (though it helps a lot.)

Zero was necessary for more advanced mathematics, eventually leading to the development of calculus in the 1600s. Calculus, in turn, was necessary for the scientific breakthroughs of the 19th and 20th centuries. The computers and internet would not be possible without the zero.

So we all owe a debt to those Muslim mathematicians who said, why not have a number to represent nothing?

5 Likes

Yay, the experiment has begun! And, for the most part, all the babies are being gud babbies… despite the accident made by One.

excitedly awaits part 03

3 Likes

It’d spoil the surprise otherwise!

2 Likes

So, what do we know so far? Pretty much zero about Zero for now. Then, One seems to be the kind of bestest that depends on his mummah for everything. Not ideal, but much better than if he was spoiled rotten. He also seems to have been raised with manners, so I’m not that worried about him misbehaving. Two seems to be the energetic and social one, and is also going to be the bridge between Zero and the rest. She is most likely the glue that keeps the group together. Judging by Three comforting One, she is most likely to be the emotional support. And Four is obviously the survivalist. I can see him growing exasperated with the rest and having a conflict with One specifically.

Let’s see how things play out.

5 Likes

Makeshift “litterbox” for One over in a corner may help lmao

3 Likes

Based on the info we have so far I think you’re pretty spot on. Let’s see how things change as we get more info.

2 Likes