Ruby’s new life Part 4 - New friends and a new home (author: Carpdime)

Ruby’s new life Part 4 - New friends and a new home

Following on from Part 3

–-

“We are home.”

Becky closed the door behind her and gently placed the carrier bag containing Ruby onto the ground. The red fluffy looked cautiously around the tiny room, noting the compact nature of her new home. She apprehensively stepped out of the bag.

“It’s probably a little smaller than what you are used to, but it has everything we need.”

Becky pulled the cushy comforter off of her own bed and laid it underneath her small dining/study table.

“The bed is probably also a bit less comfortable than what you are used to, but I’ll get you something more permanent when I drop by the FluffyMart later today.”

Ruby smiled gratefully at Becky and nestled herself into the makeshift bed. She could feel her tired bones aching and her head was still sore from the excitement at the clinic this morning. Ruby could smell Becky’s scent on the comforter and she no longer felt scared.

“Bwankie smewws wike nice wady…Wuby feew safe.”

“You can call me Becky.” she said as she fetched a small dish of water for Ruby.

“Otay Becky…tank yu Becky.” The fluffy half closed her eyes, “Wuby wan sweepies a wittle if its otay? Wuby am tiwed…”

“Of course Ruby. You just go ahead and have a nap. I’ll go to the FluffyMart now to get you some things. Will you be okay by yourself?”

Ruby raised her head slightly in a confident manner and nodded, “Wuby am big fwuffy, Wuby otay to be awone.”

Becky smiled back in recognition as she quietly left the room, leaving Ruby to take a well needed rest.

The nearest FluffyMart with a proper Pharmacy was in Downtown which was just over 45 minutes away by bus. Becky was determined to get there as soon as possible so that Ruby’s treatment can begin. Engrossed in thought about how she was going to fund the expensive treatment, Becky almost didn’t hear the young man calling out her name from a car across the parking lot.

“Becky!” yelled the voice.

She looked over at the young man calling for her but she could barely recognize him. He looked a little different in the daylight, a fraction more boyish than she remembered but no less enthusiastic. The young man parked and stepped out of the car, he was followed closely by a green fluffy.

“Hey, Mark…what are you doing here?” Becky greeted the man.

Walking beside Mark was the same green fluffy that she saw the pictures of the night before. In real life the green fluffy looked just as lively, although right now he was now standing patiently next to his owner, waiting for the next move.

“I hope you don’t mind, I asked Laura to give me your address. I wanted to see how you went with Ruby and to help you out with anything you needed…regardless of the outcome of the adoption…” Mark said, creasing his face with concern.

Becky was slightly taken back by how forward he was, “Ruby is fine. I was able to adopt her after a bit of backwards and forwards.”

Mark breathed out with relief, “Well that’s great to hear! Can I go see her? Avocado here would also love to meet her.”

On hearing his own name, the green fluffy stepped forward smartly and held out his front leg in a welcoming manner, “Hi Becky! Fwuffy am Avocado!”

“Pleased to meet you Avocado!” Becky knelt down and shook the fluffy’s leg. Becky turned to Mark, “If you really want to help me, I could really use a lift to the Downtown FluffyMart. Ruby’s sleeping at home at the moment, so I wouldn’t disturb her for now.”

“Well of course! Anything you say.” Mark then spoke to Avocado, “You hear that buddy? We’re going to the big FluffyMart Downtown!”

Avocado jumped and half turned on the spot with excitement, “Yay! Avo wuv da big FwuffyMawt! Big FwuffyMawt have bestest toysies and kibbwe sketties!”

The giant Downtown FluffyMart was the flagship shop in the chain’s impressive network. As the three entered through the wide entrance of the warehouse, they were descended upon by an employee dressed in a fluffy mascot costume handing out fliers. The whole operation was speechlessly absurd in Becky’s eyes. In spite of the glittering distractions all about her, she was focused on finding the Pharmacy quickly and getting back to Ruby as soon as possible. Mark was familiar with the maze-like layout of the store so he led the way towards the direction of the Pharmacy. As he tried to walk away, Avocado remained transfixed to the strange and wonderful mascots milling around the entrance. Mark had to whistle loudly to catch Avocado’s attention.

“Was there anything else you needed to buy apart from the medicine?” Mark asked as they sauntered down the wide, product filled aisles.

“I have a list here I wrote while in the car.” Becky scrolled through the list on her phone, “Ruby needs a bed, litter box, kibble and…that’s it.”

“Huh, is that all? I guess older fluffies really don’t need as much as young ones.” Mark said.

“Yeah, it’s not a lot but it’ll still send me broke.”

Becky looked at the prices of the items stocked on the mountains of shelves they were now walking past.

“$250 dollars for a FluffyMart ‘Rainbow Princess’ bed!” Becky was flabbergasted.

“We can get cheaper stuff from the local Fluffy Outlets.” Mark reassured.

“I hate myself for saying this, but a side of me wonders if this is all worthwhile. Ruby is an old fluffy, what if she only lives for a few more months no matter what I do? I don’t know if I really should spend so much money.”

“You seem so sure of yourself at the end of last night. I mean I can’t blame you for having your doubts, but honestly I think you are just over thinking and second guessing yourself. Don’t worry, we’ll go to the Fluffy Outlet after this and we’ll pick up a few bargains.” Mark said.

Arriving at the Pharmacy, they were greeted by the sight of a long, snaking line to the Pharmacy counter. Owners from all walks of life were present. Most of the owners were families and young couples. However, just ahead of them in the queue was a single woman who had an older fluffy with her. The older fluffy was visibly frail, its fluff was dry and wiry and it seemed almost oblivious to the world around it.

Avocado walked up to the old fluffy and greeted her, “Hewwo fwuffy!” he said in an upbeat tone.

The woman noticed Avocado talking and turned around, “Hey there little fluffy! I’m sorry but old Lizzie here is deaf in both ears.” Avocado gave a confused look, “She ain’t gonna hear you talking.” The woman clarified.

“She’s a fine looking lady.” Becky said, admiring the steady look of experience that was etched on the old fluffy’s face.

“Yes she is, she was quite the show fluffy in her younger days. Back then, there was were lines as long as this for stallions to breed with her.” The woman ran her hands through the fluffy’s sparse fur, “I’ve had Lizzie all my life and she is such a darling, even in her golden years.” The woman looked at Avocado, “And you have a very fine looking fluffy yourself!”

“Oh no that’s not my fluffy, he belongs to my friend here. My fluffy is at home, she’s also a bit of a grand old lady herself. Though I don’t know if she was a show fluffy or anything like that in her younger days. In fact I barely know anything about here.” Becky said.

The woman gave Becky a confused look.

“I just adopted my fluffy today. She’s actually my first fluffy.”

“Well congratulations.” The woman said as she gave Becky a friendly pat on the shoulder, “You won’t regret it.” The woman winked as she went back to attending her fluffy.

The queue progressed at a snail’s pace but they eventually reached the counter and Becky was dispensed the medication for Ruby’s liver infection. It amounted to 5 tiny white pills contained in a tiny orange bottle costing $943 dollars.

In exchange for the pills, Becky had signed on to the FluffyMart medical installment program that charged an interest on the monthly payments. She wondered how she was going to get the extra savings each week to repay each installment. Her budget was already blown out of the water with the extra expense of having to pay for Ruby’s other living costs. But she reminded herself about the commitment she made to Dr. Johnson when she adopted Ruby. There was no way that she was going to let Ruby down.

Returning back to her dorm with the spoils of the afternoon, Becky introduced Ruby to both Mark and Avocado. As usual, Avocado was his old friendly self, shaking hooves with Ruby as well as giving her a big warm hug. Becky went to cook a large batch of spaghetti for Ruby as the other two entertained Ruby who was trying out her new fluffy bed.

“So what do you think of your new bed?” Mark asked Ruby.

“Wuby wike nyu bed vewy much. Nyu bed am vewy much wike Wuby’s owd bed. Wuby feww at home…” Ruby’s expression turned slightly sour at remembering her old home.

It was no more than 2 days ago when Ruby was still with her old mummah. Although she was in physical pain the last time she was at home with her old mummah, she always felt loved and warm in the familiar surroundings of her old home.

That was before yesterday. That was before she was taken to the strange fluffy home where they put her in a cage. It was also that dreadful place where her old mummah said a tearful goodbye.

Ruby felt a coldness inside of her and she retreated back under her comforter. Mark could sense something was wrong, he could tell that Ruby wanted to be alone with her thoughts for the time being. He gestured for Avocado to leave Ruby alone, the green fluffy skipped quickly away and stood beside Mark and Becky next to the cooking stove.

“If you ever need anything, Avocado and I am always here to help.” Mark said.

“Thank you.” Becky replied, “I’m pretty sure I’m going to be okay. I’ve got a bit of experience taking care of sick fluffies.”

“I know, but just remember to take care of yourself too.”

“I know. I will.”, Becky said, furrowing her brow. Mark scratched his head thoughtlessly with embarrassment.

Becky filled a small plate with the freshly cooked spaghetti and splashed a large serving of plain tomato sauce on top. Taking one of the pills from its orange container, she put the little white pill just under the surface of the spaghetti.

“Here you go Ruby.” She said as she laid the plate of warm spaghetti enticingly in front of Ruby, “Be a good girl and eat up all the spaghetti. I will give you a great big hug before you go to sleep tonight.”

The red fluffy stared at the plate of warm spaghetti in front of her. She loved her sketties just like any other fluffy, but she remembered about the bad sketties given right after her old mummah had said her goodbye.

Ruby looked uneasily at Becky, then she looked at Avocado who was eyeing the spaghetti, licking his lips. Ruby trusted Becky, she trusted her new mummah to not break her heart. Ruby leaned forward out of her covers and started devouring the plate of spaghetti. It tasted very different to the one that her old mummah used to make, it wasn’t as delicious as what she was used to but Ruby didn’t mind that. At least it didn’t taste like the one she ate in her cage yesterday.

Pleased to see Ruby’s progress settling into her new home, Mark decided it was time to leave the new family to themselves.

“I probably should go now, there’s a whole heap of stuff that I need to do.” Mark walked over to the door, “Bye Ruby, enjoy your food and I will see you next time!”

Ruby took a pause from her eating and said her goodbyes to both Mark and Avocado.

“Wait, before you go…” Becky took a large takeaway container from the cupboard and filled it up with spaghetti. Avocado immediately knew what was up, his ears perked up and he ran towards Becky. She handed the container to Mark, “Here’s a little thank you for both your help today.”

“Tank yu Becky!” Avocado said as he hugged Becky’s leg.

“Thanks Becky.” Mark also said, “That’s enough spaghetti for me, but what about for Avocado? Does he get any?” Mark added mischievously.

Avocado giggled, “Vewy funny daddeh…” the green fluffy went back to the door and lightly headbutted his owner.

The quiet that followed the two’s departure felt oddly strange. She had almost gotten used to the boisterous nature of Mark and Avocado’s company. A short while later, Ruby had dutifully finished all her food and she received a long, loving hug from Becky. As the fluffy dozed off once again into a gentle sleep, Becky cleaned up the kitchen before taking a seat at the table that sheltered the resting fluffy.

The calm had now sunk in. Ruby’s slow, deep breaths provided the perfect background soundtrack. Becky opened up her study material and commenced her intense revision. There was still a lot to do before the week was done and the challenges that laid ahead were difficult and many. For the sake of Ruby, this was not the time to slow down.

Continues in Blueberry’s stories

29 Likes

Brand new Ruby! I’m happy to see you develop as a writer, Carp!

4 Likes

I’m generally happy with how I was able to include most of the Ruby plot elements that have been in my head for quite a while.

Also glad to include a few scenes with Avocado and his owner, expanding the nature of their personalities.

This Part 4 of the story also coincides with a drawing I did earlier of Ruby sleeping in her new home. If I come across a copy of that I will add it here at a later time.

I don’t really have a Ruby - Part 5 planned as Ruby’s story starts to merge with the greater storyline involving the other characters from Fluffy Daycare (Blueberry, Avocado, Princess Pinky and Buttercup).

At the moment, the next part in the greater series will most likely to be part of Blueberry’s story. I think Blueberry and his owner’s story is the least developed in regards to drawn/written works. There is already a relatively worked out storyline for Blueberry that I hope I will be able to share in the future.

11 Likes

This gives me a smile for the old fluffy to have a new home

4 Likes

@Carpdime Just saw the update with the added picture of a sleeping Ruby! Thats really endearing.

I love your art and your writing so much. Even the texturing effect on this last picture is so well-done. I also have to say that your writing is so heart-warming! <3