Spindle's Spirit, Chapter 1: Every Fluff For Themselves (Star-The-Alicorn)

“Wait- No! P-Please!”

The feral earthie, named Spindle, awakened in his alleyway from the racket. He had been asleep in his makeshift shelter, which was a cardboard box. He smelled the wet asphalt from the rain, and heard it patter heavily on the only safe place he had.

His favorite red towel, which was lining the bottom of the box, was getting wet. One end of the towel was sitting in a large puddle, doing its job and soaking the water up. Great. Spindle grunted and curled up tighter, his light pink fur not doing much to keep out the cold. He felt the freezing air against his skin, making his body tingle uncomfortably. Even the sides of the box were cold, having been saturated by rainwater. His body trembled.

A drop of water fell into his brown eyes and he shook his head, blinking. His shelter wouldn’t last long at this rate, he knew. The sides of the box were already sagging. Time to move and find somewhere new. The groggy earthie crawled out of his shelter, dragging his soft towel with him. It was nearly pitch black, the lights from passing metal monsters his only guide.

Spindle hated the dark, especially since there was no nighttime sky ball to light his way because it was covered by clouds. At least he could keep his lucky red towel. He loved that thing, it was his only comfort item. He continued to drag it around, getting it and himself wet in the process. His light blue hooves were getting wet. He felt the water soaking through his fur down to his skin. He hated it. Eventually, the towel was nearly too heavy with water to drag. His neck and jaw ached from the effort, his muscles strained.

In the middle of a particularly strong yank (that pulled a muscle in his neck), he stopped in his tracks. His heart leapt up into his throat and his pulse began to hammer. He smelled something besides the rain. It was a metallic, salty smell, one that struck fear into the heart of any fluffy that smelled it.

Boo-boo juice. Someone was hurt! He dropped his towel and whipped his wide-eyed gaze around, worriedly searching for whatever needed his help. His ears twitched from left to right, and his nostrils flared. He was trying to track whatever was making that smell. He heard scuffling at one end of the alleyway.

He slunk slowly around the alleyway, keeping close to the brick wall. He didn’t want to be seen if whatever was bleeding wasn’t friendly. He heard a pained cry nearby, and the stallion shrunk down immediately. He walked a little quicker, hearing the clop-clop of his hooves on the asphalt ground. He stepped in a few puddles here and there, and he wasn’t happy about it, but someone needed help. Personal comfort could wait.

“Who’s there?!” He heard a deep, angry-sounding human voice bark only a few feet away. He failed to muffle a whimper as the beam of a flashlight swept across him and landed on him. “Oh, it’s just a stupid fluffy. Get outta here, shitrat.”

The human kicked something. Spindle felt an empty can hit his side and heard it hit the ground, and he let out a yip. He galloped out of the alley to hide around the corner. The boo-boo juice smell was strongest where he’d passed the mean human. Was the human hurt? He found out soon enough that the one that had kicked the can at him wasn’t the one in pain.

“Please, anyone, HEL-” The fluffy head a slap. He peeked around the corner and saw the human that had thrown the can pressing his hand to another man’s mouth. The human that was holding the man’s mouth closed was dressed all in dark blue, blending in almost perfectly with the night. No wonder the fluffy hadn’t seen them both!

“Shut. The fuck. Up. You knew you owed us money, you slug! Either hand it over or you’re as good as dead.” The man pressed the one he held captive harder against the wall and held something sharp against the captive man’s throat.

“I-I’m sorry! I don’t have it! I promise I’ll get it to you this week, I’m sorry! Please don’t- ACK” The victim’s throat was immediately sliced open. The boo-boo juice smell intensified so much and so suddenly that Spindle almost fainted right then and there. Dark blood poured from the man’s throat, and the captor let the victim go. The man fell to the ground, convulsing and gurgling.

Death throes. The earthie knew what those looked like, unfortunately. He felt his fur puff out, as goosebumps from fear rose on his skin. He began to shake. A human had just killed another human! It was unspeakable! He had to run. He turned around, and sprinted in the opposite direction, towards safety.

Spindle was so panicked that as he traversed the city streets he was unfamiliar with, he didn’t see the door that opened right in front of him.

CRACK

And then, for Spindle, everything went black.

Chapter 1: You are here!

Chapter 2: Here

11 Likes

Well well well. Now I’m interested.

2 Likes

Ooof poor spindle

1 Like